We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

we're heading out for our 8-day visit to NYC, staying in Chinatown. this is our 2nd visit, our 4 year-old's 1st. we're planning to buy the CityPass which covers a lot of what we want to do. here's the rundown of our must-do's:

-Chinatown (obviously!)

-Little Italy

-Highline

-Museum of Natural History

-Time's Square

-MOMA

-Grand Central Station

-Flatiron District

-Brooklyin Heights and Bridge Walk back

-Greenwich Village and SoHo

-Midtown (Rockefeller, Top o' the Rock)

-Ellis Island, Wall St., and 9/11 Memorial (1 day set)

-Central Park

i'm debating on the Met as we've been there before along w/ Empire State Building (and also b/c it's included in our CityPass :)).

i would love to check out 5 Points in Queens but that's a possible optional side trip.

we'll be in early Thursday dropping off luggage in our hotel in Chinatown and then will 1st check out that area along w/ Little Italy since it's next door. i have a roundabout idea but was wondering what the best approach should be to organize our days. for example, which of the places i listed above should we check out in the same day? i'm trying to go by area for each day if possible so we're not running around from one end to the other. we don't want to overdo it of course and i'm trying to make our days flexible and open to change in case the elements kick in or something needs to be moved around (as i know it will due to our little kiddo). any input would be appreciated again :)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,957 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

Almost nothing on your list requires an entry fee, so I'm mystified as to why you would get a City Pass. Are there other things you plan to do that you haven't listed here? If not, definitely skip the pass.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,957 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

The best way to group these is to look at a map and try to put together places that are near each other, or easily accessible by subway.

So: Chinatown and (the little that's left of) Little Italy are the same place (both free)

Time Square and Grand Central (both free) are both in midtown, along with Rockefeller Center and TOTR. MOMA isn't far either. (There's a combo ticket for MOMA and TOTR that will save you money.)

You've grouped your downtown sights already. (Book free memorial tickets at 911memorial.org. Book Ellis Island tickets at www.statuecruises.com. You want a timed ticket for the earliest possible boat, which you can't get from City Pass.) Wall Street is free.

Brooklyn Heights and the Brooklyn Bridge (both free) will lead you back to Chinatown.

Central Park (free) is in between Natural History (suggested donation) and the Met (suggested donation).

Greenwich Village, SoHo and the Flatiron district are all near each other. (Free.)

The Highline is also free.

3. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 12:57
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

When you have a 4 year old, you can do all the planning in the world, but you will still be subject to the kid's daily moods. I recall a trip to Amsterdam with my little sister screaming over and over again in the Reichmuseum "No More Rembrandts."

One thing that you may like to add to an itinerary is Playgrounds. For example, when you cross the Brooklyn Bridge there is a great playground in DUMBO at the foot of Main Street. It also has some kicking views of NYC as well as the Carousel.

When you are in Lower Manhattan, the Rockefeller Playground located in Battery Park City is one of the best in the City. mommypoppins.com/newyorkcitykids/destination… Similarly, Central Park has a wide variety of playgrounds where the kid can burn off steam. centralparknyc.org/visit/…playgrounds.html

I would also forget the City Pass. No real need for it. You can add some more kid friendly stops to your itinerary, which can also add to your enjoyment as well. In Coney Island there is the NY Aquarium [and Nathans, and Brighton Beach]. In the Bronx, there is the Bronx Zoo [and Arthur Ave - NY's real Little Italy] Another great place to get to is the Brooklyn Children's Museum - the oldest museum dedicated to Kids in the Country. 4 would be about the correct age. www.brooklynkids.org

Above all, know that your itinerary would ALWAYS be subject to crankiness and tiredness. Be prepared to modify.

scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

As far as grouping things together is concerned, on our first day we got the HOHO bus through mdtown and got off in Chinatown (if I went back I would take the subway), wandered around there and Little Italy, had lunch in the East Village and then walked to Washington Square Park and then visited Greenwich/West Village.

The second day we started off downtown, got the subway and went to see City Hall, the 9/11 Memorial, Federal Hall, Stock Exchange, Bowling Green to see the Wall STreet Bull, Battery Park and then took a trip on the Staten Island Ferry for views of the SofL and Ellis Island. We then took the subway uptown, did the uptown HOHO tour and then explored Central Park for a bit.

I agree with the advice that you should list what you want to see and then group them together so that you cover as much as possible in your time there. Also, use the subway. it will save you so much time and money and you can nip about all over the city. For example, we got the subway out to Brooklyn which cost about $2.25 each and took only 15 minutes on an express line. Then walked the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan.

Have a great trip

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

BrooklynBridge,

as far as i've looked, these aren't free:

-Museum of Natural History

-MOMA

- Top o' the Rock

-Ellis Island (ferry)

-i noted possibly Empire State and Met

i'm aware that most things we're doing are free. i've been looking into this for months. just wanted input on my itinerary, not criticism for doing the CityPass.

scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

You have to pay for those things you mentioned although I think some of the museums you can pay what you think is appropriate rather than the recommended entry fee. If you were not planning on getting off at Ellis Island or Statue of Liberty then the Staten Island Ferry is your best bet given that it's free and you will get good views. I understand that security and queues for the ferry to Liberty/Ellis islands can be pretty long.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

A 4 yo is just too young to go to Ellis Island. The lines are extremely long, everything will go over his head, and nobody will be happy. I'd really consider scratching that and waiting until he's old enough to appreciate it.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,957 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

I'm not criticizing you, I'm trying to help you. You are more than free to ignore that advice, but it's freely given.

As I said, you REALLY do not want to try to do Ellis Island using the City Pass. To make the most of your time, having a timed reserved ticket is absolutely the best way to go. You can only do that by booking directly. So take that out of your calculation: are you still saving money?

And as I said, there's a combo ticket for MOMA and TOTR that saves you 20%. moma.org/visit/…admission_discounted

And the Met and AMNH are both suggested donation museums.

And I gave you input on your itinerary groupings in my second post. You're welcome.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC in 8 days-need input on itinerary

" would love to check out 5 Points in Queens but that's a possible optional side trip."

Skip it if you are with a 4 year old.

"-Chinatown (obviously!)

-Little Italy:"

The magic and charm of these areas are long gone and will never come back. If you never visited them you would never miss anything.