We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

Thanks any suggestions :)

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

Hey elladuffy:-) You may want to check out Hosteling Internation on the UWS;-) Happy planning.. and EnjOY!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

Stay there once awhile ago and I would not go back there as I was not comfortable with people staying or hanging there. Can be different for females though.

Newcastle, NSW...
Level Contributor
94 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

Not a backpackers per se, but I am a fan of The Pod Hotel... I stayed at the original one on 51st last time I was there, and will be saying at the new one on 39th next time unless I snag a super deal on Hotwire closer to the date.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

I stayed at the Pod once and was very happy with it .... mind you, I had scored a VERY good rate on the internet and have never seen a rate like that again.

If you're on a backpacker's budget, the Pod is definitely too expensive ...

HI will do the trick (great neighbourhood, someone I know stayed there and liked it, and man, she is picky!) and so might the Jane, in Chelsea. Another smashing neigbourhood to rest your head! Rooms are overly small, though and fairly noisy on some floors ..

if you can get the Americana Inn for a decent price, I would heartily recommend that as well

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

Please be aware that there are DOZENS of hostels running illegally and they're being offered all over the internet. Unscrupulous people who own or manage a building will just load it with beds/bunkbeds and can pay to list them as hostels on most any website. An unsuspecting tourist can wind up booking one. The danger for you aside from finding yourself in either an overcrowded or highly unappealing place that is not anything like the photos you saw online is that the city has been cracking down on these illegal places that are often fire hazards and closing them. So you could wind up booking something and arrive to find you have no place to stay.

There are really only 4 legal hostels in Manhattan, the YMCA Vanderbilt, the YMCA Westside, Hostelling International and Chelsea International Hostel. There are also women's residences that are relatively inexpensive. The Brandon on the upper west side is one that's been used a lot by forum posters if you do a text search. There's also Leo House, an inn run by nuns in a great location in Chelsea. It hasn't been mentioned lately on the forum but has been a popular place in the past, very clean, basic and I think even has some rooms with private bathrooms. They have no website. Reservations need to be made by phone

The Leo House

332 West 23rd Street.

For reservations call: 212-929-1010

In addition to those, there are hotels that either have shared bathrooms or very small rooms, several of which are mentioned above. The Gershwin is another which is combination hostel/hotel. The Larchmont is another in a great location in Greenwich Village, all rooms with shared bathroom. The Belleclaire hotel on the upper west side also has a few rooms with shared bathroom that are sometimes very affordable as does the Newton (they're listed as standard rooms).

You should also know there are very good budget hotels located in Long Island City, an area just outside Manhattan and connected by subway. You can often get a regular room there with private bathroom and some even include a free breakfast for the same or a bit more (or sometimes less) than the hostel situations in Manhattan. Not all the Long Island City hotels are in walking distance of the subway though, so you have to check that before booking. The Country Inn & Suites, the Verve, the Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Manhattan View are some of the better located/priced options there.

Jan-mid April is a relatively inexpensive time in hotels in Manhattan. If you visit then, you can usually find great deals in regular hotels. Bidding on Priceline or booking with Hotwire can sometimes get you a great hotel room at not much more than a hostel price at that time of year. If you don't know about those websites

betterbidding.com

is a website that explains both.

California
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

The OP started a lot of threads for this trip but apparently has changed her plans and is visiting Japan instead.

Edited: 17 November 2012, 13:38
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,367 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

Gosh, I didn't realize how old the thread was. Well, it's useful info for someone who does a text search (I hope) ")

California
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

The info you posted is very useful and will be appreciated by future readers. It's just inconsiderate when people ask for lots of advice and then can't be bothered to post back when their plans change and they no longer need help.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

god nywhiz, ur very wise bout the hostels/hotels thing! i appreciate ur advice...........so tell me wot can we do outa the ordinary(?) sp? when we come to nyc??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap nice hostels/backpackers in NYC?

Last I checked Ella was looking into going to either Vancouver and .whistler or Japan. Hopefully the valuable information since her original post has gone on to,help someone else.