We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dying of dilemma!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
193 posts
408 reviews
Save Topic
Dying of dilemma!!

So here's my situation! My wife just had to have us go to NYC for our 1st time during Thanksgiving vacation. I only had a week's notice before I had to book everything on her bday last week. I felt pressured and decided on a hotel which I later discovered is right smack in the middle of Chinatown (a little far from where most of our attractions will be). I can still change the hotel, but am so overwhelmed that I am lost (and on a budget). I booked the hotel based on size for 2 people, private bathroom and glowing reviews on Tripadvisor as well as 2 other sites. We can walk and take transits, that's no problem, but now all the responses I get here on TA are positive about the neighborhood, but negative about the hotel. Hotels in the middle of Manhattan areas (like Belnord, Pennsylvania Hotel, Pod 39 (?) and Tribeca Blu) are in our price range but have iffy reviews and are all mentioned to be VERY small rooms. Time is ticking and my blood pressure is rising! I just dont want the hotel to ruin our 1st time in the city. Wish I had more time! :(

Level Contributor
162 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

Not to worry. You still have plenty of time. If you let people know your exact dates and budget per night I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.

2. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 14:44
3. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 14:44
4. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 14:45
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
193 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

I take advice but not with negativity!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

djz ... nywhiz is one of the most HELPFUL posters here and I've never seen her lose her cool with anybody. If you think her comment demostrated "negativity" you haven't spent much time on this board where certain topics are triggers for tons of negative comments, some bordering on nasty or even mean.

This forum is "staffed" by volunteers who love NY and enjoy helping others, but ultimately, any final decisions are yours. It's your vacation, it's your money, it's your choice as to which hotel you stay in.

As a volunteer ... it can be frustrating when somebody ignores all advice offered and then comes back stressed out or complaining about decisions made. In that situation, a proper response means the same volunteers offering the same suggestions that were already ignored.

Edited: 23 October 2012, 14:16
Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

What is the hotel that you have booked? Perhaps some on here can reassure you that it is a good choice. If not, please provide you budget per night and exact dates of arrival and departure for the best advice.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

What forgot says.... and dying over this??? Take whiz's advice first time around

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

I have stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge multiple times. Far from ruining my vacation, it is where I LIKE to stay because I think it has very good value for the money and I love the location!

It is just one block from a subway stop so you can easily get anywhere in Manhattan or even parts of the outer boroughs. It would be foolhardy to go searching for a "more centralized" location because it doesn't exist! Things in Manhattan and the rest of NYC are spread out. You will need to take the subway at some point and this hotel is great for that.

As for negative comments about the hotel itself, I haven't seen any problems on multiple stays. It's not a luxury hotel but it is a decent, clean hotel and cheap relative to most of Manhattan.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
193 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dying of dilemma!!

Thank you Matt B. I appreciate that. Thank you to everyone who posted. I won't be back to ask more questions. I'll figure out the rest on my own.