We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York & Snow!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New York & Snow!

I'm looking to book a holiday in New York maybe in January & I know there's a good chance it might snow.

I was just wondering if anyone has been to New York when it's snowed & if it disrupted your holiday much - esp at the airports, delays for take offs & landings etc..

How was getting around in the city ?

Would love to hear of some people's experiences of New York when it snows, I bet it looks beautiful :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,757 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York & Snow!

Unless it is a major major snowstorm, within hours after it has stopped the airport is clear and running. In terms of Manhattan and snow--except for Central Park, within a day or two you don't even know it has snowed. It is cleared very quickly. If you want to see multiple snow covered streets days after a storm you have to go to one of the other boroughs.

Transportation wise--we have the subway, it goes underground and is not disrupted by things that are on the surface.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York & Snow!

Snow can - and has - sometimes disrupted travel at the airports. No way to predict.

Unless there is a huge storm/blizzard, getting around NYC remains the same as other times - subway, buses, walking. If it is below freezing and it has snowed or rained, one must on the lookout for "black ice" on the sidewalks/streets as you can't see the ice very easily and if not paying close attention, you can slip and fall.

It does look beautiful in the snow - during and right after it snows. After that, the snow/ice can accumulate in the corners of the streets, turn slushy and black from dirt/grime but, if it remains cold, snow on the trees, buildings and in the parks is really pretty.

And, sometimes we don't get snow at all in January - other years, a lot. No way to know.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New York & Snow!

Yes, snow can and does disrupt airline travel. Once you're here, it won't make much if any difference for getting around the city, but be prepared for delays in both directions at the airports.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York & Snow!

"Would love to hear of some people's experiences of New York when it snows, I bet it looks beautiful :) "

Nope!

That is because we New Yorkers have to get around even when it snows. So you will see sidewalk were locals throw down some salt on the ground. Then our Satiation Department will snow plow the streets burying cars in snow and creating big hills of dirty blacken snow in many of the streets. Because of all the foot traffic you will soon see hardly any snow but slush puddles. If you are not wearing snow shoes/boots start looking for a new pair of walking shoes because they will be ruin from the slush, dirt and salt that will be splashed on them. Soon will see on the streets small piles garbage bags, which will grow larger each day as the Satiation Department is too busy pushing the snow around they do not have time to pick up the garbage.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the only beauty to be found is “when” it is snowing. After that it is it no fun or beauty after the snows fall.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York & Snow!

Have to agree with Bill on this one.

Snow in urban areas is almost always an ugly pain in the butt. All the more so in coastal areas, where it's often the wet variety that turns to slush the moment it hits the ground.

It makes it harder to get around, which is not only inconvenient for locals, but for tourists as well.

I'd go to New York in the winter for a specific event, but I'd pray for dry weather.

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York & Snow!

Do not confuse New Yorkers ability to cope with snow with our British inability. In the UK as soon as we have a tiny flurry of snow the airports, road and rail network come to a grinding halt in the US the get out snow ploughs and its business as usual. Don't let the thought of a little snow put you off. Just dress and plan an itinerary that includes lots of hot drink breaks!!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York & Snow!

If there's a small amount of snow, your plans shouldn't be affected. For large amounts of snow on your travel days, you can expect delays or cancellations.

If we get a major snowstorm in the middle of your trip, consider yourself lucky. The city will briefly sloooooowwwww down. Locals may stay home from work and some businesses (including tourist attractions) may close. Go grab a hot chocolate from a cafe, sit by the window, and watch the world go by. I've even seen people skiing on the otherwise empty streets. Go into a park and watch people sledding. Throw a snowball. NYC will be quite a different place for just a few hours. (Mild warning: some types of heavy "wet" snow can weigh down tree branches and cause them to break - use a bit of discretion before standing underneath.)

milton keynes
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York & Snow!

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's making me want to go back to NY!

9. Re: New York & Snow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 10:18