We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i have booked a illegal hotel.

Manchester
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Topic
i have booked a illegal hotel.

hi guys.

after booking my hotel thru lastminuite.com ( marrakech hotel on broadway) i have now found out this hotel is illegal and has a closing order on it. i have emailed lastmin twice in the last 24 hours and got no reply. i intend to phone them in the morning requesting a full refund.

just after some advice on this matter. when i booked it said non-refundable. but its a illegal hotel so i should have the right to a refund? just want to be prepared before i phone them

thanks in advance

cantona.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

Any third party worth their salt should refund you your money. Stand firm and insist. That doesn't mean they'll do the right thing, but they'll be hard pressed to argue that they shouldn't have to refund your money.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

You aren't the first. Here's someone else who got a full refund from last minute on a non refundable rate.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5759718…

Manchester
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

i sent a PM to the person who wrote that post, but not got a reply. she has given very useful infomation.

cantona.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

If the don't refund and you booked through your credit or debit card your bank may be able yo help chargeback the transaction.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

I would also request assistance from your bank/credit card company in the event they give you a hard time. Good Luck.

Manchester
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

thanks hazel. i rang the bank last night trying to cancel the payment but they said they can only cancel payments on credit cards and i paid on debit. its something to look at if i dont get a refund thanks.

cantona.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

I agree ... contact your credit card company. Accepting a reservation or charging you for services which they are not legally allowed to offer would likely be a violation of their merchant agreement (a form of fraud) and the card company would likely honor a chargeback.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,513 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

I would expect that lastminute would give you a refund only if the hotel is actually closed down prior (or during!) your stay. The hotel has been in legal battles for years. I doubt LMT will want to get involved in predicting the outcome and giving you a refund "just in case"

There are violations, there is a hearing scheduled in Dec, they have the opportunity to submit a "Certificate of Correction", etc. I doubt LMT is going to consider them "closed" at this point, even if the outcome is likely. The hotel is still being offered on lots of hotel booking sites.

I would encourage everyone NOT to book it, but I think you're stuck. Try getting someone on the phone and maybe they'll be able to do something, but probably only if they can get the hotel to allow the cancellation.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

I disagree with Chris. The other poster got a refund and I don't think the hotel was closed at the time. Has the money been taken out of your account already??

Manchester
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: i have booked a illegal hotel.

yeah the money has been taken from my account.

thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-220…

here is another article i found today