We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No tripods allowed

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
No tripods allowed

Hello, I would like to carry my tripod with me when sightseeing in NYC. I don't plan to use it all the time but it can be handy. Besides wandering around I am planning to do the usual must sees like SOL (including Crown), 911 memorial, TOTR, see Wicked. Could I be denied access to any of these if I have a tripod on me (even if I don't intend to use it there)? I read some older posts that there could be problems at ESB.

Imlay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No tripods allowed

I heard you have to have a permit to use a tripod in NYC in public. Might want to look into that.

Imlay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No tripods allowed

nyc.gov/html/…important_info_permits.shtml

Here is a link regarding tripods.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No tripods allowed

You don't need a permit to use a tripod for personal use.

From that link:

When a Permit Is Required

A permit is required for filming if equipment or vehicles, as defined in the rule, are used or if the person filming asserts exclusive use of City property. Equipment does not include hand-held devices (such as hand-held film, still, or television cameras or videocameras) or tripods used to support such cameras.

As for the activities the OP listed, I couldn't find anything specifically saying that tripods are not allowed but the Empire State Building website DOES say they're prohibited there.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: No tripods allowed

I took my tripod to the ESB in 2009 and they were prohibited then. I don't know if the arrangements are still the same but you could effectively check it - got a cloakroom ticket and it was left in a pile with a bunch of other tripods that weren't allowed to be used (good to know I wasn't the only one!).

So, if possible, leave it behind when you go to ESB and if you're planning to go at night, practice long exposures beforehand to try and minimise camera shake. At least with digital you can take a bunch a turf the dodgy ones.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No tripods allowed

"Could I be denied access to any of these if I have a tripod on me (even if I don't intend to use it there)?"

No.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No tripods allowed

You can only carry a small camera up to the Statue of Liberty crown , everything else , coats , bags, tripod etc will have to placed in a locker ( cost is about $1), is the tripod collapsable enough to fit in a locker , or on that day you may just choose to leave it at the hotel.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 06:13
7. Re: No tripods allowed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 09:17