We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check in thread for local regulars

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Topic
Check in thread for local regulars

I figure we can let each other know we're okay and share war stories as we get power back.

We're all fine, no damage that I can see to the apartment, though I haven't checked the building yet, and we didn't lose power, so we're all set. A tree fell on my father's car, but he's okay.

I know many of you didn't fare as well. Best wishes wih recovery and clean up.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

Aside from some flickering lights, my neighborhood never lost power. Although I did lose internet for about 12-15 hours. Based on what I'm hearing about other places in the city and in the greater affected area, I'm doing quite well.

Hope that everybody else and their families are OK and safe.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

Good to read this thread and to hear most everyone is ok, their house/apt. is ok...and seems like things will (slowly) be getting back to normal. I've been watching TV and seeing the flooding and all. And that crane!...yikes!! Here in WV we have 16" of snow in my area...and still coming down. I have power, but many folks do not. Snow is supposed to continue well into tomorrow! Uggg! I hate snow!

New York
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

Hi. I'm in Great Neck, LI. It's the border of Nassau County and Queens. The town itself has power (I am currently in our local frozen yogurt shop), but many residents are without power (myself included) and it's not looking like we're getting it anytime soon.

Huge trees are down on the wires and last night down my block was a fire from one of the transformers. People with ATT cell service are also having no service. I drove to Queens and my cell phone had service there.

I have family up in Centerport and they have sme situation as here. I also have family in Massapequa along the water and they refused to evacuate. We still can't get in touch with any of those family memebers nor have we heard from them. I assume they are stuck where they are and no working cell phones.

Thank God things are not worse. New Jersey is absolutley facing huge devastation.

If I was scheduled to visit this week and able to postpone the trip I would. It's not fun here right now as we're all just trying to clean up, make do, and get back to work.

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

Living in Florida...these all are far too familiar descriptions!! People seem to pull together though, and I am sure that is the case in New York also!! Someone asked about Evening...she's been on Facebook...no power, I think, but all is well!!

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

MiriamLisa -just read the end of your post..... I am schedule to visit next week 11/8-11.....still trying to decide what to do.

New York
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

I'm sure by then the city should be pretty much back to normal. A lot of times the power in the suburbs takes a lot longer to restore because there is so much damage from the trees landing on the wires.

Also what I wrote was "If I was scheduled to visit this week and able to postpone the trip I would", (meaning in the next couple days).

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

Yeouw all that snow really did hit WV - I can't imagine it in October even though we had a snow storm this time last year.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

Who are we still missing? Evening, QueensBoulevard, MoreFFMiles?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
163 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

Don't forget Ziggy!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Check in thread for local regulars

Oh dear, yes, Ziggy too. Staten Island got it bad.