We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Times Square hotels

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Times Square hotels

So many hotels to choose from but when they say they are in Times Square this is sometimes misleading. If we wanted to stay right 'in' Times Square/Broadway - close to theatres/restaurants and in the middle of it all which hotel is genuinely this well situated?

Novotel? Renaissance? Westin? W? help please!!! Rooms large please and a bit of luxury to end summer holiday next July.

PS good luck all you New Yorkers - hope the devastation by Sandy didn't affect you too much

Boston
Level Contributor
24,451 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Times Square hotels

The Two Hotels that I stay in are directly in the heart of Times Sq and both are wonderful but can be expensive at times.

Marriott Marquee In Times Sq

Double Tree Suites in Times Sq

marriott.com/hotels/…

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Boston
Level Contributor
24,451 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Times Square hotels

Marquee

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Double Tree is where it says Guest Suites.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Times Square hotels

Times Square is close to theaters. However, it is not the location of many good restaurants (it is, in fact, largely a dining wasteland full of overpriced branches of indifferent and homogenized American chain restaurants such as Olive Garden or Red Lobster that cater to timid tourists who don't want to eat anything they don't eat at home), nor is it in the middle of it all, nor does it have much nightlife besides the theaters, nor is it a great location for shopping, nor is it close to all tourist sights. In fact, despite the fact that a lot of people who know little about New York City think it is where they need to be, for most visitors, staying in another neighborhood would suit them just as well -- or even better.

If you are staying in Times Square because you want to be close to theaters, you have chosen correctly.

If you are staying in Times Square because you don't want to spend time with New Yorkers, but instead like being jostled by trampling hordes of other tourists who are gawking at still other tourists who are gawking at electrical advertising signs, you have chosen correctly.

If you are staying in Times Square because you like being on top of a large subway interchange where you will find subway trains that will get you the heck out of Times Square to more interesting neighborhoods quickly, you have chosen correctly.

If you are staying in Times Square for any other reason, your choice is based on an entirely mistaken impression of the place and its location relative to other things in Manhattan.

Wirral
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Times Square hotels

For the first timer, it is hard to judge. I know other areas of New York City are probably more vibrant, but as a complete nervous newbie to NYC, I have also gone for a quite central hotel?? The sheraton 811 7th Ave, New York, NY 10019?? All a little rush job, but with the help of people on here, and a lot of reading, I do hope I have not made a terrible choice, and I am really looking forward to my trip!.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Times Square hotels

The Sheraton is at Seventh Avenue and 53rd Street, which is about a third of a mile north of Times Square, and the same distance south of Central Park. While I now little about the hotel, the location is certainly convenient enough; it is right on top of a station of both the E and the B/D trains, and close to other stations for the N, R and #1.

california
Level Contributor
639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Times Square hotels

We have stayed twice at the Marriot Marquis. The first time, I told them it was our first trip to NY and they gave us a great room looking right down on Times Square. We loved the location for doing touristy things and it made it very easy to get up early to go be in the studio at Good Morning America when John Travolta was there. We only ate breakfast in the immediate area, usually at Junior's just across the street. It's expensive, but we thought it was worth the price.

7. Re: Times Square hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2013, 10:17