We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread with some locals' opinions on whether those with plans to visit in the next 2 weeks should continue with plans or change them.

I personally think anyone who can cancel or postpone a trip scheduled between now and Thanksgiving (a mere 3 week window) should do that. Certainly anyone with plans to stay in Queens, or anywhere south of 40th st in Manhattan should not come for the next week at least. This is my own opinion and I fully expect that others may not agree. But with the subway flooded and power outages in most of Manhattan from 40 st south, it might not be a very easy trip.

The only people I think might not be affected are those who are coming strictly for theater and staying in that area on the west side. Performances will begin tomorrow and I think tickets will be available.

playbill.com/news/article/171714-Light-the-L…

Sending best wishes for a speedy return of services to all those without power etc. Try to make lemonade out of this lemon.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

We are due to arrive in NYC on the 15th November so at the moment are playing a waiting game. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt so are away from the worst affected areas but completely understand the potential long-term disruption to the subway and so on.

Unfortunately our travel insurance does not cover us if we decide not to travel and currently our airline (BA) are only offering rescheduling of flights up to the 7th November. Should they extend this then we will probably look to travel elsewhere but if not then we will have to decide closer to the time whether to abandon the trip and lose the money. I guess for now it's just wait and see what happens and decide closer to the date.

limleg
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Free bus services in NYC today so hopefully that help people get about better

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Yes, but if you're a tourist, for heaven's sake stay off the buses during rush hour and let the locals get to work.

limleg
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Totally agree, if locals can get about there business then it will benefits tourists better as the city will be up and running in no time! Any more news from the electric company about people getting there power back on? Haven't seen any updates on the news, think its going to be extremely hard this weekend with the influx of people for the marathon, for locals and businesses alike, tho hopefully it will help people get back into there normal routine

London
4 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

I am flying to NYC tomorrow for an unmoveable holiday. Delta have not cancelled our flights and we cannot get a refund either. Travel insurance doesn't cover it so we either sit on our backsides at home and lose £1800 ($3000 USD) or suck it up and go for it. I'd like to think that by continuing to travel we are doing our bit to help NYC's tourism economy. Apartment is fine in Upper Manhatten.

Questions is, what are we going to miss out on at the moment with all of the power cuts etc? And how long is the walk from Upper West side (140th St west) into mid/downtown? And can anyone tell me which bus routes run to down town?

Thanks New Yorkers. Wishing you all the best

Stockholm...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Hi,

We have a flight tomorrow, the 1.th of November my husband and I. (He´s actually going for the Marathon)

The flight is not cancelled, so we can´t get a refund now. ..But we still don´t now anything about our hotel. We are staying in the 4th area/Greenwich.

Edited: 31 October 2012, 10:37
Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

http://www.mta.info/bus-maps (for bus info)

You are roughly 100 blocks from Midtown, its roughly 20 blocks to a mile. Depending on how fit you are it takes between 15-20 mins to walk a mile. I'd assume most tourist attractions will be closed until Monday at the earliest. Walking around is probably the best way to take in the city until then. Pack comfortable shoes, a map, camera and stop in coffee places along the way. Enjoy.

nyc.gov is the website to check for updates.

Edited: 31 October 2012, 10:39
38. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 10:53
Edited: 31 October 2012, 10:53
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
167 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

mrmcdlondon: also look at http://newyork.hopstop.com/ to get great bus & walking directions. As mentioned, you are staying about 90 blocks, or 4.5 miles from midtown (Rock Centre anyway); more if you are staying more West. A very long walk so plan on bus/taxi. How long are you staying? I would not count on being able to get to downtown attractions soon. MoMa reopens today, Met will announce this morning but should be open soon, same with Nat Hist museum, just to name a few. I would also plan one of you walks south through Central Park (once it is open of course).

inredaren: Where exactly are you staying? You say "Greenwich" but that is a town in Connecticut - Are you in Greenwich Village? If you give the name of the hotel it will help.

Stockholm...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

EKGinNYC: Greenwich Village it is :) Washington Square Hotel.