We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread with some locals' opinions on whether those with plans to visit in the next 2 weeks should continue with plans or change them.

I personally think anyone who can cancel or postpone a trip scheduled between now and Thanksgiving (a mere 3 week window) should do that. Certainly anyone with plans to stay in Queens, or anywhere south of 40th st in Manhattan should not come for the next week at least. This is my own opinion and I fully expect that others may not agree. But with the subway flooded and power outages in most of Manhattan from 40 st south, it might not be a very easy trip.

The only people I think might not be affected are those who are coming strictly for theater and staying in that area on the west side. Performances will begin tomorrow and I think tickets will be available.

playbill.com/news/article/171714-Light-the-L…

Sending best wishes for a speedy return of services to all those without power etc. Try to make lemonade out of this lemon.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
61. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Campsieuk - didn't mean to offend. I was just mentioning in case anyone had news on the area around MSG. I'm not expecting the game to be on, but if anyone had heard or knew of anything different.

Nywhiz - hotels actually on 54th and 6th ave. thanks for all the info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Re: staying uptown - colleagues are unable to get into the office as any bus that comes along is PACKED and they can't get on. One tried for 2 hours this morning and then gave up and went back home. Tourists using buses is not helpful to us locals right now.

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

I wholly agree with nywhiz that if you can cancel or postpone your trip that it would be the best idea. It's not exactly a festive place to be right now. Those who have power and services are trying to help those of us who don't.

I'm at work now in a building a mile away from LaGuardia. There is power here, but all of us come from the city, queens, brooklyn, connecticut, westchester, LI, etc... and the majority of us (150 people) don't have power, cell service, and some no longer have safe water to use. The employees who depend on public transportation are not here.

A lot of people have been trying to book hotels because we're told it can be up to 2 weeks for power. Unfortunately there are no hotels to book. There are no trains into the city from LI or NJ so all those who commute into the city are mostly not there. Noone can really say how long it will take to get the subways running or the tunnels opened. And nobody knows how long until the power gets restored. It's a lot bigger mess than people realize.

london
Level Contributor
15 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Very difficult one to call. i would go just to stand with our American friends and say you're not alone but then if we were taking up space that was really needed by locals then that wouldn't be so great.

Hopefully New York and the surrounding areas get back on it's feet soon, we look forward very much to our visit in December.

Best wishes.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
65. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

NYwhiz Thanks so much for your brilliant post. I actually made a mistake - I have an apartment at west 140th st in Hamilton Heights, not the original location I mentioned. Does anyone know what transport is like there and how long the walk is to mid/downtown? And are there places to eat the are open etc?

We have no choice but to go otherwise we will just loose $3k!

Also, does anyone know the situation with Taxis from JFK to this area at 11pm?

Good luck New York.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

mrmcd, it is going to be very hard for you to get around. As I said in my earlier post, a colleague lives very near there and she waited for 2 hours for a bus this morning before giving up. The buses are very few, and when they do arrive, they are packed.

The walk to Times Square would be almost 2 hours. You can estimate one minute per block if you're walking briskly.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Well you have a double problem (or maybe worse) mrmcd as apt. rentals for less than 30 days are mostly illegal. Had you come to this forum earlier, you would have been told.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

I hope you haven't fully paid for the apt. and I sincerely hope it wasn't by wire into someone bank acct. which is usually the sign of a scam. That location is incredibly inconvenient. You can see the walk by using

maps.google.com

and typing a trip (ie the address NYC to Times Square NYC) and then clicking the person icon for walking. I would order a car service like

dial7.com

and I would try to PHONE the contact you have at this apartment to alert them of your late arrival if they don't already know. I sure hope you weren't scammed.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Manish--and others

There is no magic knowledge in the brains of locals that help us know what is open and what isn't. We have no secret sources for finding out what attractions are and are not open. Usually, the knowledge of regulars comes from experience. WE have no experience in this current situation. We are learning by listening to the radio, watching TV, and reading online.

Our two main news radio stations 1010Wins and 880Newsradio both stream live. NYC.gov is open to all. Our local papers are the NYTimes, NYDailyNews etc. Visit attraction website, google for information. Tourists always want to act like native New Yorkers, now is your chance. Get information the same way we are.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Hi nywhiz,

We're scheduled to arrive on Friday, November 23rd & we're booked at the Andaz Wall Street. I know that the Andaz was one of the hotels that were evacuated & wasn't sure if the hotel has been damaged due to sandy. Currently, the website is down, but how does it look for the financial district?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Opinions on whether to visit NYC soon

Not good.