We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water question for anyone currently in NYC

TN
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Water question for anyone currently in NYC

We are to arrive tomorrow for my husband to run the marathon. We heard bottled water supply is short. Is this true? We are considering checking a bag full of water as he will require lots for hydration purposes. This is not for during the marathon but the days before & after. Is this necessary?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

There's nothing wrong with the tap water.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

Tap water is fine.

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

It is not necessary. You'll find bottled water in supermarkets (though maybe not all) if you don't want to drink the tap water.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

All things being equal, New York City has some of the best-tasting tap water you will find anywhere--it tastes better than any bottled water.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

I have always drank NYCs water and never much thought about it. This has set me wondering after reading somewhere of all the "things" that have been found floating in the flood waters. I know that water being used comes from filtration processing systems. How vulnerable are those in these uncertain

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

The water that NYC uses comes from sources many many miles away

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

I hope so, and "high up" from harm. Water is something we take for granted but it is far more essential than electrical power!!!! Never even thought of the issue until I saw this thread.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

Bloomberg has repeatedly said that there is no issue with the water following Sandy

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

New York City water comes through gravity-driven aqueducts from reservoirs more than 100 miles northwest of the city. It does not depend either on electric power or on filtration You are drinking water that starts as streams flowing from mountain springs, and that gets to the city pretty much in the exact same condition as it started.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water question for anyone currently in NYC

What a relief! Thank you. Not to belabour the issue, GWB, but doesn't it require electric power to get "pumps" to move the water. I know this is not a travel related question but have to ask out of curiosity and "ignorance."