We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway suggestions

Buffalo, New York
9 posts
Save Topic
Subway suggestions

I'm thinking of moving to the upper east side in manhattan, but I would be working in Woodbury NY - sort of near the GEICO office. What's the best way to commute?

I would assume a subway but I'm not sure of the best subway stations to use.

HELP!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway suggestions

The Upper East Side is a large area. Assuming the corner of 86th and Lexington as a starting point, and assuming you mean Woodbury on Long Island as an ending point:

goo.gl/Zn6IF

... and for some reason, Google Maps isn't suggested Syosset (on the LIRR) as an option, possibly because there are no public transit options from Syosset - however, I would bet that a taxi would be easy from that point (for the 2.5 miles) and probably better than the local buses suggested by Google.

(link to Google Maps shortened for ease of copying)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway suggestions

No, you certainly can't take the subway. The subway never crosses the New York City boundary anywhere, and in Queens it doesn't even come close to the city line -- and you are going twenty miles past that.

Frankly, this is not a commute that can be done every day and with ease and practicality by public transportation, You will not be able to get any closer than the LIRR station in Syosset (which you would reach from the Upper East Side by taking the #6 to 51st Street, and then changing for the E train to Penn Station, and then taking the Long Island RR out), and that is a long walk, so you would have to make some arrangement for a taxi to pick you up in the morning and to take you back after work. It would be much easier to drive, although owning a car on the Upper East Side is a very expensive proposition. Ij you are going to work in Woodbury and want to live in New York City, you might consider living in Queens rather than in Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway suggestions

As this map shows, it would take 2 hrs in each direction if you were to attempt public transportation. You'd need to get to Penn station, take a Long Island Railroad train and from there a bus.

http://goo.gl/maps/SfwhD

The simplest way would be to drive where the trip would take about 1-1 1/2 hrs. You'd be going against the traffic (most people are going the other way)

http://goo.gl/maps/N6Gbk

But obviously the expense of a car in Manhattan is a big consideration.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway suggestions

Strongly suggest you live near where you are planning to work (given how far out it is) and play tourist on weekends.

Buffalo, New York
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway suggestions

Thanks for everyone's help! I am very unfamiliar with the city. My husband and I plan to move there and he will be working/going to school in the city closer to manhattan and the job I found would be in woodbury so we were unsure of it was a realistic commute for me. Would queens be realistic for both of us?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway suggestions

Yes, especially if you're willing to drive. You're still gojng to have a long commute from Queens since Woodbury is pretty far out on Long Island, but it's manageable, rents are cheaper and it should be cheaper to garage a car there. Your other option is to live near Woodbury and have your husband do the commuting. ;)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway suggestions

Where is your husband going to school.? You said "closer to Manhattan," which suggests that it's not in Manhattan. That could certainly make a difference in what locations will be most convenient.

8. Re: Subway suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2013, 10:18