We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the Beaten Path - Ganesh Temple

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Off the Beaten Path - Ganesh Temple

Everyone knows about Little India on Sixth St. and Second Ave in the Village. But, for those of you who want to delve deeper, let me recommend the Ganesh Temple and Canteen in deepest Flushing.

Yesterday I biked to the Temple on a nice crisp day. After descending two flights of stairs, you end up in the Temple basement. Lots of tables and chairs, a large statue of Ganesh, and a counter where food is ordered. True delicious South Indian food. While this food is prepared by and for the congregation, outsiders are made to feel very welcome.

We had poori bread with chick peas, an utttapom with some great sides, desserts and mango lassi. We were sated and licking out lips. Nothing left but empty plates. And the cost of this delicious meal - $13. For both of us.

After feasting, we removed our shoes and entered into the temple itself. Simple and beautiful, with walls lined with Deities. It was interesting to be there during prayers. I am unfamiliar with Hindu culture, and there were people who were more than happy to answer our questions.

Do I expect most folks to run out to Flushing for this experience. Nope. But those who do will be rewarded, both physically and spiritually. It should go without saying that this is a temple and that utmost respect in dress and behavior should be done by all visitors.

www.nyganeshtemple.org

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Ganesh Temple

This sounds great. I would love to experience this atmosphere. Are jeans ok or no? Covered head or no? They serve lunch every day? Dinner? Thanks!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Ganesh Temple

Here are the hours of the Canteen:

Monday-Friday 9:00 am - 9:00 pm

Saturday-Sunday 8:30 am - 9:00 pm

I believe that I did see a sign requesting that jeans not be worn, but cannot recall with specificity. I don't know what headcovering policy - if any - exists in the Hindu religion. That said, my florescent orange biking jacket was greeted with nothing but smiles.

If you click on the link above, I bet that all of your questions will be answered.

BAC
Level Contributor
226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Ganesh Temple

I agree, the Temple is a great visit.

There was a wonderful little place serving dosas nearby, called the Dosa Hutt. I heard about this place first from a post on TripAdvisor and it's delicious food. Do you know if that's still there?

BAC
Level Contributor
226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Ganesh Temple

I agree, the Temple is a great visit.

There was a wonderful little place serving dosas nearby, called the Dosa Hutt. I heard about this place first from a post on TripAdvisor and it's delicious food. Do you know if that's still there?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Ganesh Temple

Thanks for printing out the hours. I couldn't even find that information on their website.

6. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Ganesh Temple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 10:19