We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

First of all, wishing New Yorkers a speedy recovery during this time!

I have a couple of questions regarding transporation:

1) We will be arriving 11/23 thru 11/26 and staying near W. 46th and 7th Ave. There will be 5 of us (3 adults; 2 teenagers), for getting around is it cheaper to get a Metrocard (unlimited) or just get taxis for our destinations? We plan on doing all the tourist stuff...Ellis Island, Central Park, Empire State Bldg, Rockfeller Center.

2) We are flying into JFK; I read since there are at least 5 of us for price to take a taxi...but I also read that it's faster and easier to take Airtran and then subway to our hotel. Thoughts?

Thanks for all input!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

Hailing a taxi on the street that can accommodate five passengers is difficult.

You're going to be here at a very busy time when traffic is likely to be at its worst and when getting a taxi for four people will be difficult.

A 7 day unlimited ride MetroCard is $29.00 per person and this will be by far your best bet. The subway is much faster, much more accessibly when cabs are not, and will be cheaper and give you more flexibility.

It is illegal for five people to get into a taxi without enough seat belts for all adult passengers (the teenagers will be considered adult passengers). Cab drivers will not take the risk of a fine - you'll find yourself stranded if you're not prepared to use the subways.

The JFK AirTrain / LIRR is indeed the fastest route into Manhattan from JFK. Your hotel is just over a half mile walk from Penn Station. You can also use the subway to go one stop from Penn Station to Times Square. Or you can simply take the JFK AirTrain to Jamaica and get the E train to 50th Street / 8th Avenue (exit in the direction of the front of the train and you'll come up at 49th Street / 8th Avenue)

Subways are extremely safe 24 hours a day. You can safely and confidently ride the trains late at night and all the time.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

As MoreFFmiles noted, taxicabs that are sedans may only carry 4 adult passengers - and the overwhelming majority of taxicabs are sedans.

The subway is faster, cheaper, and (surprise!) safer than taking taxis. Taking the subway also means that you can travel as a group without thinking about it.

Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

Thanks for feedback! We'll be getting some metrocards then and enjoying the subway.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

Also, from personal experience, getting taxis in that neighborhood can be tough, even late at night because of all the nearby Broadway shows and midtown offices (where people work late and their work pays for cabs home). And if the weather is bad, then even more so.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

And don't discount using that same metro card for busses -- especially if you're trying to go "cross town" which is to say east-west travel which is not well serviced by the subways

Also, as my travel agent sister-in-law points out, using busses in any direction gives you a great view of city life even if it is slower than the subway

You will be quite surprised at how fast, clean and efficient the subways are

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,236 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

We always do the subway very easy to get around and cheaper than a cab.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

Taking the subway is pretty easy. Buses too. As the others have said $29.00 for a 7 day pass, uses as many trips per day as you want. If you load the app "HopStop" to an I phone or android it makes it SUPER easy (for directions). Be aware your cell phone will most likely not get signal once down the subway steps.

Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

Thank you for the app info. I've downloaded it and looks like it will work great! Exactly what I needed.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

Love the subway and use it on each visit.

The best is "popping up" from the subway and then orienting yourself as to where you are and which way you want to go. Found some great places going the wrong way! Passers by are always willing to help, so just ask.

Enjoy!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway vs. Taxi's for getting around?

Subway is the easiest way to get around, trains run all the time we never waited more than 7 minutes, the metro card was the best purchase we made. We never felt unsafe on it and at night there were many police in trains or around the subway. We flew out of La Guardia and used the bus to get there with our metrocard.

My one tip on getting over to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, get there early otherwise you will be standing in a very long queue just to get on the ferry.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 11:23