We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit May or June?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit May or June?

My two boys (both adults) just won a trip to NYC and Boston, I’m going too, so I need to pay for one person, when is the best time price wise (for hotels and airfares) and for seeing events and festivals, I have to use this prize in May or June, I am thinking end of June so I’m there for 4th of July? is accommodation more expensive around this time, when are school holidays as I assume this will also increase the price

Thanks for your help

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

May and June can both be pricey months for hotels, as the weather is very nice. School holidays don't make much difference -- in fact, hotel prices are lower during the summer when schools are out than they are in the autumn when schools are in session.

You say that you "have to use this prize in May or June" -- do you know that you could use it for a trip that ends in July, as you propose? Make sure you read the fine print :)

In terms of events and festivals, the period around Memorial Day (the last Monday in May) is Fleet Week, when many Navy, Marine, and Coast Guard ships dock in the city and offer tours. In early May is the Tribeca Film Festival. June sees the Gay Pride parade, the Mermaid Parade, and the Puerto Rican Day parade.

…about.com/od/holidays/tp/new_york_city_even…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

"...I’m going too, so I need to pay for one person, "

Dont you think it should be up to the boys who won the prize when to travel? Do you plan on sharing one room?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

My boys will be 18 and 19, at this stage I am looking into the best time to go by what the lovely people on trip advisor suggest and then I will discuss this with them, they would not think to look up this stuff themselves, not sure on room yet, I would prefer two rooms but it will depend on costs

Edited: 06 November 2012, 01:45
Alabama
Level Contributor
953 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

I wasn't going until June 4, 2012, but when I discovered how much cheaper I could fly and stay if there in May, I changed and went May 30-June 4.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

May and June are highly desirable times to visit both cities. It's unclear what "best" means to you.

If budget is a factor. you'll want to look at hotel prices for various exact dates in both cities. Prices fluctuate wildly based on supply and demand.

The May college graduation season makes Boston hotel prices extremely high for most May dates. Probably even higher than NYC hotel prices.

Mid to late June might be less expensive for both, though it's not one of the bargain times to travel.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

I've been in June and it was HOT!...like 101 degrees! (I still loved it.) I'm going back next May. I don't know that I noticed any big difference in pricing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

Thanks for all your replies, my boys and i dont mind the hot weather, it will be winter in Australia when i leave so i will be looking forward to the hot days, it seems that the prices do decrease from late June because of the weather. im sure we will love it

Edited: 07 November 2012, 02:55
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

There's hot and there's hot ..... New York in summer can be HOT ....

I'd pick May

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

I lived in NY for 4 years and I can tell that both months are quite hot but May might be better option.

10. Re: Best time to visit May or June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2013, 10:15