We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

Trying to decide between these two before going to a show. Any thoughts on which one is better?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
142 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,121 Reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,017 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,130 Reviews
from US$57.00*
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

Although there are several BLT restaurants, and two businesses with amicably divided rights to the BLT name, the fact remains that Capital Grille is a much larger company. While I'm sure the Capital Grille franchise (?) owner considers himself a "local businessman", I vote for BLT.

On the other hand, franchises have standards they apply to all their outlets. And some huge groups, like Legal Sea Foods, actually improve the quality of their raw materials by centralized buying and quality testing.

I think you can select either restaurant with confidence. For midtown beef, I like Gallagher's for its age and authenticity. But I have seen Sysco trucks unloading potatoes and bagged, washed lettuce there. They've never been noted for their vegetables ... ...

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

Thank you! I will be sure to check out Gallagher's as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

Capital Grille does a very good value pre-theater menu, which is not on their website but still running. That may also sway your decision.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,574 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

BLT Prrime is nowhere near the theater district so if you're going to a Broadway show, Capital Grille is a much better option and as Kateoz says, has a very good value pre theater dinner for $39/person for 3 courses.

Level Contributor
24,618 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

Capital Grille would be my choice 100% of the time.

We did not expect this type of guest service, our waiter Jose took meticulous care of out needs from the time we sat down until we left. The manager also walked over to introduce himself and ask if everything was ok.

We went purposely to try the Pre Theater Meal and it was more then we ever expected it to be, make no mistake they do not skimp on food, the menu consist of choice of Appetizer, Entree, Accompaniments and Dessert. We both had the Dry-Aged Sirloin, 14 ounces worth. The Caesar salads we had were enough for four people, its the same size salad as you would get otherwise. All this for the price of only $39pp. The drinks were also inexpensive compared to other places.

You will not find a better bang for your dollar especially for a Capital Grille. The special menu is only served at this location, The Time Life Building on 120 West 51st. Try it, you will enjoy.

Pasig, Philippines
Level Contributor
192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

I've been looking for a sample of their pre-theater menu ever since NYWhiz gave it a good recommendation.

Thank you, TheDiceMan, for the specifics (including the weight of the steak), NYWHiz, for the original recommendation, and kateoz for the confirmation that it's still offered even though it's not in the menu!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

We went to Capital Grille, The Time Life Building, on the 31 October and had the pre-theatre menu, which for $39 was an amazing meal for amazing value.

We both had Caesar salads for starters which as TheDiceMan, my OH had the 14oz Sirloin, I had the fillet mignon, both were lovelyand cooked to perfection, huge portions, we expected smaller portions as it was the special pre threatre menu. For desert we both had creme caramel, which with the selection of fruits on the top finished off the meal perfectly.

We only had a couple of drinks each, and the bill was $112 (not including the tip) which we thought was very good value and more importantly very nice.

Didnt go to BLT Prime so cant compare, but i would highly recommend Capitalle Grille.

8. Re: Capital Grill vs BLT Prime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 10:16