We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation in NYC

Mechanicsville...
6 posts
Save Topic
public transportation in NYC

Taking 2 granddaughters to NYC one day bus trip we will be on our own once we arrive. Want to visit ground 0, macys, tj maxx, marshalls, Times square, radio city music hall,( Have tickets for the christmas show.) What is the best way to get to all these places ? How much is a subway ticket is it one way? Would it be better to take the bus?

Or should I take a taxi?

Thanks as you can tell its" OUR FIRST TIME IN THE BIG APPLE!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transportation in NYC

Get around by subway - it's the quickest and easiest way of getting around. No chance of getting stuck in traffic.

A subway ride is $2.25 when using a PAYG card - I recommend loading a card with $20 and all using the same card.

If your granddaughters are young, they may travel for free. Any child shorter than 44 inches travels for free (or thereabouts, it's not like they get out a measuring tape).

Get tickets in advance for the 9/11 Memorial:

https://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes

Atlanta
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transportation in NYC

The subway is $2.25 one way if you buy a Metro card and put money on it. Think of the Metro card like a debit card. You get a 7% discount if you put $10 or more on it.

The taxi are $2.50 drop fee plus $0.50 for each 1/5 mile. Great for medium trips from east to west. They also charge $0.50 for each 1 minute of waiting in traffic.

The 911 memorial is free. Just reserve a time online and print out your ticket. Currently they are not offering advance online reservation due to the storms, but that will probably change in a week.

Also consider getting a New York CityPass. It's $89 but will give you free admission to a ton of stuff like Empire state building , Statue of Liberty, etc.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transportation in NYC

Do NOT buy the City Pass. It's a waste of money and you'll be locked in for numerous attractions you otherwise would not have cared to see, so you'll have less time for what you actually want to do.

Additionally, the Statue of Liberty is closed until further notice due to the effects of the hurricane, so I have no clue why some guy from Atlanta keeps advising people to buy this pass and touting SoL as a big draw.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 20:15
Atlanta
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transportation in NYC

First off, there are many different city passes. Make sure you pick the right one.

$89 to see the Statue of Liberty, Top of the Rock, Empire State building, the MET, the Natural History museum, and MOMA sounds pretty good to me.

The Empire state building is $30/person. The Top of the rock is $25. The Statue of Liberty is $17. The two museums are $25/each. Makes sense.

Just look at their website. I wouldn't do it if you have less then 3 days to spend.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transportation in NYC

Do not buy the CityPass - it is a rip-off.

One nice tour to take is the harbor tour on a ferry. Why not do some google searches and see what looks interesting. Have a look at the Circle Line and also at the New York Waterway harbor cruises. These are a nice way to get a sense of the city from the water.

The subway is easy to use. Some folks visiting for their first time have this fear that they'll get on the train and it'll be the wrong train and they'll end up in some far away place. With the exception of 86th Street / Lexington Avenue in Manhattan and Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn, you can transfer between trains going in opposite directions for free at all express stations. The worst thing that happens is you get on an uptown train at 34th Street and you were expecting to see 23rd Street next and instead you see 42nd Street next. Trains are fast enough and frequent enough you just turn around and go back - you don't even need to go outside or pay again. Don't be afraid. It is also safer than the streets of your hometown (by far).

Atlanta
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transportation in NYC

Because the guy from Atlanta knows what it's like to be a tourist in NYC. He also knows how to do simple math. Add it all up and it's more the $89.

It doesn't work for everyone. I wouldn't try do this in 1 day, but you could.

The statue of liberty is closed but you can still do the circle line boat tours instead.

If you don't care about the museums, then yeah it's not worth it. The MET and MOMA, and Natural History are worth the trip to me.

At the end of the day, if don't want to do anything on the city pass list, then don't buy it. Pretty easy to figure this one out.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transportation in NYC

As stated, Statue of Liberty is closed and MoMA is NOT $25/person for OP - the children will be FREE and senior admission is $18.

Kindly refrain from giving poor advice.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,847 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: public transportation in NYC

The Met and Natural History are pay what you wish. There's a combo ticket for KOMA and TOTR.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: public transportation in NYC

We are way off topic and I will not longer respond beyond this comment.

http://www.moma.org/visit/plan/index#hours

http://www.amnh.org/tickets

Clearly says $25/person. The SOL is closed but you can do the Circle Line boat which is at least $30.

I was not aware the MET and Natural History where still doing the pay what you wish. Not sure if that includes the Rose Center.

Either way, it all depends on what you want to do. Again, you just add up the admission prices and it works out for some people

10. Re: public transportation in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 20:57
Edited: 08 November 2012, 20:57