We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessible taxi

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair accessible taxi

Hey, my son who is in a wheelchair is heading to New York in 2 weeks. Can he get a taxi from JFK or should he book one in advance?

A x

Mentioned in this post
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,055 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

You can't pre-book a taxi. There is a line for the taxis, and a dispatcher is there to keep things flowing and organized. You can pre-book a car service from a company like Dial7 or Carmel.

Will he be alone and need help getting the chair in the car? Is it collapsible? My first trip to NYC was with a friend in a standard wheelchair, and we used a taxi a couple of times. Others from our group were there to help with the chair.

Mentioned in this post
Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

Thanks for the reply, he will be with his girlfriend. His chair will fold down and fit in a standard boot of a car. He can get in and out of a car by himself. Should he be ok with a "normal" taxi?

A

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

Yes. You may want to get in contact with the accessibility program of

bigapplegreeter.org

and see if they use or recommend a particular co. They might even want to request a Big Apple Greeter for their visit. But yes, if the wheelchair collapses and fits in a regular boot (called a trunk here ;) they should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Big Apple Greeter
Big Apple Greeter
706 Reviews
New York City, NY
Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

Thank you for that link, nywhiz, I'll pass it on to my son. :-D

A

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

I noticed they've changed the website and the accessibility program is now very hard to find. The link is here

bigapplegreeter.org/what-is-the-access-progr…

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

Hi carberry1,

An improved "on-demand" wheelchair taxi program for the airports is in the pipeline, but for now the best bet is to call ahead. I suggest you try booking ahead with "A Ride for All" taxi company which is at 718-706-7433. Toll fees may apply.

Of course, if your son is staying in Manhattan, then once he is there he can use Accessible Dispatch to order a wheelchair accessible taxi anytime (on-demand, 24/7). This company dispatches all wheelchair accessible taxi trips originating in Manhattan (passengers can take the taxis to the outer boroughs from there). There are five ways to order a wheelchair accessible taxi in Manhattan:

---Call 311

---Call the dispatch center directly: (646) 599-9999

---Text a request to (646) 400-0789

--Use the mobile app WOW Taxi (Wheels on Wheels) (found on iTunes App Store for free download)

--Book online at: www.accessibledispatch.com/book

Hope that helps and hope your son has a great trip.

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

Thank you so much Bob, that is so helpful. I'll make sure he gets those numbers and websites. He has wanted to go to NY for so long now, I just want things to go ok for him. Thanks again :)

A

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

A car service like A Ride For All will be a lot more expensive than a cab and unnecessary in his case. The dispatch service is good for getting an accessible yellow taxi (I've had pretty good luck with it in the city) but if he can easily transfer into a regular car and fold the chair, it may be faster to use a non-accessible minivan taxi than waiting for an adapted one to get to JFK. If they have a lot of bags, there might not be room for all of their gear and the chair in the trunk of a regular-sized cab.

9. Re: Wheelchair accessible taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2013, 10:17