We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi fare

manchester england
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
taxi fare

HI we are a family of 3 coming from engalnd to new york in april.Its the first time we have been to new york.we are staying at the NEW YORKER hotel in mid manhatton.we will be landing at newark airport.Just wanted to know how much a taxi would be from the airport or is ther a better option of getting to the hotel.Also how long would it take to get to the hotel.Many thanks if anyone can help jayne x

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi fare

As you are coming from the state of New Jersey, none of the information here about the fare structure of New York City taxis applies. Newark taxis work on a zone system rather than a metered fare based on exact distance. Because Newark taxis tend to be more expensive, if I were going to take a car, I would use a car service such as Dial7 rather than a Newark taxi.

However, note that the New Yorker is practically across the street from Pennsylvania Station. This means that the quickest and cheapest way to travel from Newark is by train. Take The AirTrain from your terminal to the Newark Airport train station, and then take a New Jersey Transit train to its last stop at Penn station in New York (and not Penn Station in Newark...). The fare for each person will be $12.50, making a grand total of $37.50. When you get to Penn Station, find the Amtrak ticket windows, and use the exit to the right of them, near the ladies' rest room. This will put you out at the corner of Eighth Avenue and 33rd Street. The New Yorker Hotel is 250 feet away at the corner of Eighth Avenue and 34th Street . Just cross Eighth Avenue and turn right, and walk one block to 34th Street -- your hotel will be across the street on the northwest corner.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi fare

From Newark, the taxi will run you around $50-$60. Trip can take less then 30 minutes during non-rush hour or over 1 hour during rush hour (7-10am; 4-7pm). The distance is not great, but there are only two small tunnels to get into the city.

From Newark airport you could also take the AirTrain to PATH train (switch at Newark-Penn station). The PATH train will take you into mid-town or downtown.

Another option is take a bus into the city from the airport.

panynj.gov/airports/ewr-public-transportatio…

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi fare

That taxi fare you quoted does *not* include tolls and tip. It is generally more than $75.00 when you factor in the tolls and tip (and the fact that the driver will likely demand double toll for the NJ Turnpike even though there is a free alternative - Pulaski Skyway)

Paying with a credit card adds to the fees in NJ (whereas it does not in NYC cabs)

I strongly recommend against NJ cabs at Newark Airport. Either prearrange a sedan with All State or Dial 7 or do the smart thing and take AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit right to New York Penn Station.

Going to the New Yorker Hotel there is absolutely no reason to change to PATH. Simply take AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit right into NY Penn and you're at the hotel - $12.50 per person. Hold on to your tickets as you'll need them on board the train.

AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit is the fastest, easiest, safest, most reliable

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi fare

I don't know where ATL_Scuba_diver gets that figure from. The zoned Newark taxi fare to 34th and Eighth is $55,

panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service…

to which you must add round-trip tolls (about $14 if he uses the cash lane), plus a per-bag luggage charge for larger bags, plus a tip (about $9), making the total cost for a Newark taxi about $79, and not "$50-$60"

NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi fare

I've never taken a cab from Newark, but TaxiFareFinder has it at just under $60 after taxes and tip (to Times Square), although I don'y see tolls icluded in the breakdown (left column)... http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=NY&from=Newark+Liberty+International+Airport+%28EWR%29&to=Times+Square Again, I've never dome this personally and can't vouch for the accuracy of this site, but $60 seems doable.

NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi fare

Sorry, the url broke I guess. .. www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=NY They have Newark to NY listed below the map (Popular Estimates)

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi fare

Are you certain that Taxifarefinder has the most up to date rates?

Do you think that maybe the rates GWB found on the Port Authority website (the Port Authority operates Newark Airport) may be incorrect - maybe the rates have gone down and the Port Authority possibly forgot to make the update?

The last time (and it will be the very last time) I took a taxi from Newark Airport into Lower Manhattan it was almost $90.00 when you get done with all the extra's they get away with charging you for. Double Turnpike toll even though I was happy with the Pulaski Skyway (free), the $12.00 tunnel toll (no way to avoid this), the credit card processing fee, I lost track of all the fees but they were printed on the thing the taxi dispatcher hands you (after you've swiped your credit card). Bear in mind you've pretty much already paid before you get in - you purchase a taxi pass voucher and you or the driver writes in the total at the end of the ride.

Good to know $60.00 sounds do-able even though you've never done it. Great advice.

I've done it and I know it can't be done for $60.00 despite whatever taxifinder may say.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi fare

Just to be clear, ATL Scuba's advice about the train is not correct. The AirTrain does NOT connect to the PATH train. It connects to New Jersey Transit at the Newark Airport Rail Station. The AirTrain does not run to Newark Penn Station, and you do not get off there in any event. You stay on the New Jersey Transit train all the way to New York Penn Station and you'll be right at your hotel.

NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi fare

Relax MoreFFmiles ... No need for the prissy attitude. I think I made it perfectly clear that I can't vouch for that site,and that I didn't see tolls in the breakdown. Geez...

manchester england
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi fare

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.......but we have decided to book our pickup from the airport from the uk.it all sounds a bit confusing when your not sure.....found out its going to cost around 40 pounds each way!!.x