We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

Miami
9 posts
Save Topic
PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

Hi Everyone,

My family of 5 is arriving JFK at 1:00AM is it safe to take a taxi at that time or should we reserve a car service from carmel or dail . we are going to manhattan paramount hotel (time square)...Please Let me know your opinion

Thank you..

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

A taxi wont fit 5 people plus luggage. I personally would arrange a car service such as Dial7.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

On the other hand, it would be perfectly safe to take the AirTrain and either the E subway, or the Long Island Rail Road and then a subway train uptown from Penn Station, at 1 AM.

That being said, a larger vehicle from a car service such as All State or Dial 7 would probably be more convenient at that hour.

Miami
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

thank you for the suggestion i think we might rent a car service from dial 7 or carmel. it just seems saver than a cab at 1 a.m.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

Noooo, don't take the trains from JFK at 1 am. The subway only runs every 20 minutes and has a tendency to have unexpected things happen to the route, and LIRR schedules get oddly erratic. It's the kind of thing that someone used to NYC would be fine with, but for someone who just got off a flight, it's tiring and frustrating.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

It's absolutely safe to take a taxi from JKF at night.

There are taxi's that will fit 5 people + luggage.

I have arrived twice with my family (5) and didn't have to wait at all for a taxi that fitted 5.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

Arriving in Miami at 1:00AM is terrifying.

I had a flight from LaGuardia scheduled at 8:00PM and was supposed to be in at 10:45PM. The flight was more than two hours late and it was well after 1:00AM when I was leaving the Miami Airport - seriously a terrifying experience.

New York City is the polar opposite. You can safely ride in cabs, subway, AirTrain and everything very comfortably 24 hours a day - 3:00AM or 3:00PM. In fact, it is even safer at 3:00AM than 3:00PM but it is extremely safe all the time.

If prearranging a sedan makes you more comfortable, no reason not to do this. Just know that you can safely and confidently use cabs and public transport at all hours of the day and night.

Miami and Philadelphia are by far two of the most frightening American cities I ever visit. NYC is the complete opposite. I realize that when you live in a city as dangerous as Miami, it is difficult to appreciate that a big city like NYC can really be safe at 3:00AM but it really is.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
737 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

I would not promote subway at odd hours to anyone unless one can assure as long as there are any sort of possibilities of danger regardless which city you are in.

If something happens, will you be accountable for it? I doubt. It is fair to give more programmatic suggestions to tourists who might not know whether they go right or left. In the end of day, it's personal experience and perception which does not apply to every one.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

...what?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

You made absolutely no sense.

The subways are actually safer late at night than in the middle of the afternoon however they're extremely safe 24 / 7. I don't know what nonsense you're talking about.

Sounds like more misperceptions from a non-New Yorker who has watched too much TV.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,240 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PLS Help... Arriving at 1:00 AM to JFK

Subways are safe and I use the a lot but at 1AM arriving at JFK with family and luggage, tired from a flight, toting luggage, and negotiating transfers as well as carrying luggage up steps, I just want to plonk myself and party into a vehicle that takes me directly to my destination. If that is you, OP, then take a cab or a car service. If your party still has the energy, 5 of you can be adventurous and take the train. You asked about safety, both ways are safe. It is all a matter of convenience.

As to cab or car service, if we were four with not too many pieces I'd take the cab in a flash. You go out to the taxi stand and get the 1st taxi await. 5 may mean a longer wait for a taxi that seats 5. So the car service may be your better alternative, for which you have to call and inform of your arrival. Presuming you have prearranged this prior to arrival.