We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood suggestions please

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood suggestions please

I will be in NYC the first weekend in December with my 73 yr old mom. We'd live to visit a neighborhood but would need a convenient subway and route that wouldn't be too lengthy of a walk or perhaps a neat cafe or restaurant to stop in and rest. Any ideas? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,770 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

The West Village? Lots of wonderful cafes, restaurants, shopping. Same for the East Village, Gramercy Park Area,. Where are you staying. Subway system is excellent and enables you to get around easily.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

Upper West Side near the 72nd street subway station.... PERFECT.....

Check on the Beacon Hotel......

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

It would help to know from where you're starting and what kinds of things you'd like to see. Any neighborhood will have a subway station or two and cafes. That weekend is one of the most crowded of the year.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

We are staying at Marriott Courtyard Midtown East. Yes, I know - very busy part of town. Thought it'd be nice to get away from the craziness and visit a neighborhood. As far as food, italian or american mostly. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,770 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

If you can let us know what it is you want to do and see in this"village". Is your point just to go, sit in a cafe and return to hotel, or do you intend to explore and what are your interests. There's so much too see around the city you don't really have to venture too far to see things of interest. MidtownWest gets you to the heart of 5th Ave and shopping and museums etc.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

The intent is to explore. I just mentioned the cafe/restaurant for rest stops in regards to my mom.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

It would probably be easiest to head up to Upper East Side on the 6 Line. I prefer the Upper West Side as a neighborhood, but ithat would probably need a cab ride to accomodate your mom. Even, so, I think it's worth it. Great food, shops, and easy access to Central Park. Have fun and how lucky your mom is to have you!

Edited: 21 November 2012, 01:11
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,770 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

You could walk down Madison Ave. the Polish Centre is beautiful Architecture and you can head further into Gramercy stop for tea at Lady Mendel's which serves the full English high tea or just explore the area. I don't know if your stamina can take you as far down as Madison Park into the Flatiron district and Union Square and depending on the day you may even hit the farmers market.

Just about anywhere in the city will bring you into an interesting neighbourhood. Get a hold of a guide book that spells it all out. You can pick the area and come back for more specific questions.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

My neighborhood of Park Slope would well be worth a visit. It is easy to get to, the architecture is beautiful, the stores are inviting, and there are lots of great places to eat.

Getting Here: I would take the 2/3 to Grand Army Plaza. Walk down Plaza Street till you come to the huge Arch. You can now wander through Prospect Park until Second Street. Then exit the Park and walk down to Park Slope proper. Nice blocks to walk down include Third Street, Montgomery Street and Carroll Street. Best of all, it is an easy walk downhill.

The first major street that you come to is 7th Avenue. If you make a right on Seventh and head to Union Street you come to the Tea Lounge, this large space is sort of the neighborhoods living room. Lots of kids, writers on lap tops, etc.

Then go down to Fifth Ave. As you do not want to do so much walking, just turn right and head to Bergan Street where you will find the 2/3. There are lots of great restaurants and shops along 5th Ave, so you can also eat here rather than the earlier stop at the Tea Lounge, but I just wanted to give you options.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neighborhood suggestions please

Thank you everyone!