We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

Help! I been searching and reading about Hilton Hotels in New York City for hours. I'm so confussed. We’ve planned a spur of the moment trip (by train from FL) to NY for mid-December. Although we have both worked in the city, neither of us has ever stayed overnight. It’s been years since our last visit.

Like so many before us, we decided to use some of our Hilton points……so, which hotel would you recommend for holiday sightseeing. We thought the Waldorf just because of its history but decided against it after reading the reviews.

What’s your favorite Hilton and why? I know it’s subjective, but right now, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

The sightseeing takes place out of the hotel. What are you planning to do while you are here.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

Don't go for the Hilton in Midtown, it's a huge convention hotel without any character at all. The one in the Financial District is also a bit out of your way given most of the Christmas decorations are in Midtown. Maybe the Hampton Inn Times Square South or the Hampton Inn 35th Street would be good for what you want to do.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

The NY Hilton is very close to Rockefeller Center and almost across from Radio City, both of those being the center of the universe in NYC at holiday time. That's the good news and the bad news (crowded!!) and as kateoz says, the hotel is a big convention type hotel that doesn't offer much in terms of views or fancy amenities.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

They renovated the rooms but frankly, I don't know what they were thinking. ;)

The Hampton Inn Times Square North and the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square are both good hotels, smaller than the NY HIlton, further west with big rooms near a good subway station. The Hilton Times Square is nicer than these (4* vs. 3 or 3.5*), has views, but not quite as well located.

The Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square is all 1 bedroom suites, has views and while not what I'd call glamorous, is a very nice hotel and convenient for theater.

The Hilton Fashion District is newer than the others and sort of trendy.

I know there are other threads here on the forum on this and you'll also find some on the forum at flyertalk.com which will talk more about value for points.

I'd probably go for either the Hilton Times Square or the Doubletree Guest Suites. If those are too many points, my next picks would be HGI TS or Hampton Inn TS North.

Here's a map with those

http://goo.gl/maps/iMCYN

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
286 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

We stayed at the Hilton Times Square 2 years ago when we went at Christmas time. I highly recommend the hotel...nice rooms, beautiful view & good service, and very close to the subway station. Now, I will say that the location was VERY busy, but there was a back exit from the hotel that would put you out on 41st St. (I think it was) and you could avoid the crowds and masses of people in front of the hotel.

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

Aahhhh, that’s what I needed…leads! Thank you everyone for providing us with such valuable information (and super links, thanks NYWhiz). I read about each hotel well into the wee-hours.

From the seven mentioned, we narrowed our choices down to two based (mostly) on TA’s hotel grade and reviews.

Hilton Time Square (#44/435) for 50,000 points daily and Hilton Garden Inn Time Square (#32/435) for 40,000 daily, however we can only book two nights at the Garden. The third night jumps to 161,000 points.

People really raved about the Hilton Garden and its staff. My concern is that most reviewers said to get a room above the seventh floor because of the subway vibration and noise. If we were using points, would the hotel give us the least favorable room? Also, would two nights wondering around the city and looking at Xmas decorations be enough time?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

The times that I have used Hilton points, I have never gotten the impression that I was being given an inferior room and in fact in some cases, I'm sure I was upgraded.

I can feel the subway vibration at the HGI, but it doesn't bother me at all. In fact it is kind of a singular New York thing that I like.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

What are you asking??? We have no idea how long you're staying so saying you can only book 2 nights at the HGITS doesn't tell us what you do then. Are you here for 3 nights? Can you pay for the 3 rd night at the HGITS? Help us help you. You havent really laid out what your options are clearly.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
286 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

I can tell you that we used Hilton Honors points for our visit back in 2010 at the Hilton Times Square. We were given an upgraded corner room with a vew of the Empire State Building and also coupons for the full breakfast each day, I'm assuming due to my hubby's status with Hilton. I don't think you will have to worry about not getting a good room. Hilton usually tries to take care of their loyal customers....at least that's how it appears to me. If it were me, I don't think I'd use over 100,000 points for a night at the HGI...but that's just my opinion!

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

Agreed, it would be crazy to use more than 100,000 points just for a 3rd night. Staying in the city for either two or three nights are both okay with us.

Thanks for answering the vibration question. Oyster listed it as a con, so I wanted to check out its seriousness. A little vibration doesn’t bother us either, after all we did live in CA too.

Teeter, what time of year did you visit? I was leaning more towards staying at the Hilton Garden based on its slightly better location to holiday sights. It’s good to know that using points probably won’t matter though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hilton for Christmas Sightseeing?

The Hilton on W26th was the hotel that blocked their outdoor outlets so New Yorkers couldnt charge their phones during the hurricane aftermath, unlike pretty much every other area hotel. I would never recommend that hotel, whatever it is called. Then again, it could have been a Hilton corporate policy.

suitcaseready.com