We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

Aberdeen
8 posts
Save Topic
Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

Hi All,

Hope you are all well!

I'm after some advice. I've had my heart set on New York for most of this year and wanted to go nearer christmas to see all the setup etc (I'm a big kid haha)

I'm a 29yo male from Scotland who had planned to head to New York with a few friends over Christmas/New Year. Unfortunately everyone has decided to go to different places but I still want to come to see New York.

My question is, If I were to come over alone and head out at night for a few drinks or whatever, Would it be easy enough to get speaking to local residents? Maybe sit and chat, have a few drinks, Have a few laughs?

I don't know if I would fancy coming all the way over to have no fun at night especially over new year.

A friend has tried to persuade me not to go saying it will be lame going on my own as she heard its a rude city and won't meet anyone to speak to. I'm a believer that all cities have their rude and friendly people but just thought I would double check before I commit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

New Yorkers can be a bit gruff, but it is like anywhere, ther's always great people, especially in a city of millions, there's got to be a few nice people! I'd imagine the Scottish accent will help you a bit, probably with the lasses! I'm sure you will have fun, NYC is great...

Aberdeen
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

That was the point I was trying to tell my friends but they aren't buying it. I've been to many places through work and always usually found the US a friendly place albiet I've mainly been further south.

I guess the city will be full of other travellers going for New Year too so probably wouldn't struggle to find someone in the same boat (I hope)

Would be nice to mix in with the residents though. Always makes it more fun.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

There are dozens of people on the forum that come solo, some regulalrly. If you find it easy to meet people at home, you'll have an easy time here. If you're shy at home, it could be the same here or you may find yourself more open here. What would worry me more is trying to make plans NOW for this holiday time which is upon us. You will likely pay top dollar having waited so late.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

Well it's not like Scots to be skeptical, now is it!?! Nywhiz makes a great point though about paying through the nose because you are planning so late...I'd keep that in mind....best of luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,893 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

Have your friends been to NYC on their own? As NYWhiz says, if you are shy at home, you will most likely be the same here. Are your friends discouraging you because they have personal experience of being alone in NYC or because they think, for some reason, you will not meet people because you are shy and perhaps not outgoing? Hard to figure out why they would be so pessimistic about your having a good trip.

A lot of solo travelers and locals will choose to sit at the bar in a restaurant to eat when on their own and often have the chance to meet others doing the same.

I travel solo a lot because I love it but I'm not looking to meet people when I travel - if I do, it's fine but when and if it happens, it always purely by chance of circumstance. If you think you will only have a good trip if you meet others to spend time with, you just need to be aware that sometimes such meetings and connections may not happen and hopefully, you will be fine with that.

NYC is a great place to explore on your own - I doubt you will have trouble meeting and talking with people. Whether you spend additional time with them - well, who knows.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

New Yorkers are not remotely rude. We are kind, generous, and care deeply about manners. On the other hand, we can be extremely honest and direct. Small-minded people who think conversation should be a sort of ritualized kabuki-style thing where the form is most important, and being "nice" is the supreme value, trumping honesty or consideration of others' needs, tend to call New Yorkers "rude" because we express opinions frankly, and do not hesitate to express disagreement when we in fact disagree. If you cannot bear to hear what people actually think you will hate us. On the other hand, if you are sick of constrained, small minded conformity, and do not take disagreement as a personal affront, you should like it here very much

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

Ignore your friends. If they haven't been to NYC solo, they don't know. Even if they had, their personalities are clearly not as gregarious or positive as yours.

I find most naysayers are those who have no experience of the thing they are bagging.

You probably will be paying top dollar, but you've another 12 months to make it up ;)

It's a great city and I haven't met a New Yorker I didn't like yet. I travel solo too, but made a great friend there through Fodors and that has been such a joy.

Aberdeen
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

Thank you everyone with your input.

I like the idea of going places on my own so it doesn't really bother me totally. I guess it would just be nice to have a chat with people now and again.

I don't really have much trouble speaking to new people, I think where I'm from you have to be a bit better at it as if you try and talk to a stranger, They think you are about to rob them them blind.

As for the costs, I'm aware it has been left a bit too late but there are still some deals to be had when purchasing over here in the UK.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

Just make sure to check out those "deals" here first... often UK agents have no idea if they are putting you in a good situation or not regardless of price. Others are correct in saying that the later you are booking the less likely to get a truly "good deal"

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy to meet friendly people when travelling alone in NY?

You'll be fine if you rock up to a bar, grab a local beer, and chat to the bar tender and other people. Maybe more so in local bars, than tourist bars. For someone your age, and wanting to do that in an evening, I'd think about staying near nightlife, rather than Times Square.

What is your budget, and we can see if we can find something that works well...

Bilmin - I don't think the OP ever mentioned anywhere about "agents"....