We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian Bakeries

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Italian Bakeries

The other night, my friend and I were talking about bakeries. He commented that until recently, it was difficult to get great baked goods in NYC - there were no patisseries. I countered by saying that we had great Italian bakeries as long as I can remember - and long before that.

Coincidentally, my bike club rode to Astoria through yesterday's cold and dreary weather. Normally, I head there and visit Artopolous for some baclava. But the group rode to an old school Italian Bakery that I had never visited before.

La Guli is about as old school as they come. From the sign outside to the smells inside - all may have been the same since its opening in 1937. I had a delicious cannoli and a great cup of coffee. I also had some almond pastry that was just plain sinful. The bakery was also gearing up for Christmas with all sorts of special cookies and cakes.

You often hear visitors asking about Little Italy - as if all things Italian were boxed into one neighborhood. These days, Little Italy is more of a tourist trap than anything else - and great old school Italian is wherever you find it - even in Astoria Queens.

www.yelp.com/biz/la-guli-pastry-shop-astoria

Edited: 02 December 2012, 13:18
New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian Bakeries

Mel, there is no "even" in that sentence; parts of Astoria used to be very Italian -- keep in mind that Peter Vallone Sr. was the Councilman from there for years and years.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian Bakeries

I love old school ethnic bakeries. One of my faves is the Polish North Side Bakery in Williamsburg. The staff can be a bit gruff (unless you happen to speak Polish) :) but they have lots of great treats!

The bonus is it's significantly cheaper than anything else you'll find in the area.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian Bakeries

Thanks GWB - I always thought of Astoria as being essentially a Greek neighborhood, but I have now learned that there is so much more to it than that. As for Rachel's post, I am a HUGE fan of Peter Pan Donuts on Manhattan Ave in Greenpoint.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian Bakeries

Glasers on 1st and 87th is a 4 generation German bakery

5. Re: Italian Bakeries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 12:15