We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

Hi, my name is Mihai and I am from Romania.

On 2-7 January I will be in New York for the first time in my life. I have travelled a lot of times in Europe but never in US. All I know about the US & NY is from the movies, as I don;t have a real experience so if I will say something offending for any person in this post, I apologize anticipate. So, my questions are:

1. How is the weather forecast for 2-7 Jan? I heard last year the weather was very bad and for 4 days, all airports were closed. I hope it will be dry, no rains or snowing, because I don't intend to stay much time in the hotel beside sleeping and showering.

2. Where I can find a large outlet that contains brands like Timberland, Calvin Klein, Sean John, Tommy Hilfiger etc?

3. How much a taxi cost for a distance between Central Park and Little Italy (for example)?

4. Is it safe to visit Harlem at daylight at least?

5. Is the subway/metro non-stop? Is it safe to travel at nights?

6. I love hip-hop music (80's & 90's especially, (not Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Rick Ross) are there any bars/clubs in Manhattan where I can find this kind of music in their musical program and the people there are peaceful and don't have ghetto attitude (as I saw in the movies)?

Thanks

PS: excuse me for my English which isn't that good

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

Hi Mihai.

I tried to compose a reply addressing each of your questions, but I don't really think that's possible - you're making a huge number of incorrect assumptions and mistakes about NYC. I think the best thing you can do is buy yourself a guide book about NYC that will likely answer your questions and teach you about NYC.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

Mihai I can't answer all of your questions but here is some information I found to plan your subway and taxi travels.

To estimate the cost of taxis: www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=NY

For subway schedules and general information: http://www.mta.info/

To plan your trips on the subway: …mta.info/MyTrip/…tripplanner.aspx

As for the weather, of course no one can predict whether or not it will be raining or snowing in advance. However, I think you would be wise to plan on it being wet/snowy at that time of year. If it is dry, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Have a great trip to NYC!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

Yes, it is safe - using all the normal, common sense precautions you would anywhere in Europe.

You should do some reading about NYC and not rely on images and impressions from movies as those are fictional. Read non-fiction and learn more about the city; a guidebook and a map are essential to have to plan your trip and to have while you are here. You should get them now and begin to plan your trip and what you want to do while here.

No one can predict the weather but it is likely to be cold - could snow but it may not. Just check the forecast a day or two before your trip so you know what you might expect in the way of weather. Even if it is rainy/snowing, there is zero need to stay in your room what with all the theaters, museums, galleries, shops, etc - again, you need a guidebook.

Your assumptions about Harlem, etc are off base (incorrect). To repeat: read some current that is NOT fiction.

And, absolutely use the subway. Taxis are expensive and take a lot longer to get where you are going vs taking the subway.

Edited: 02 December 2012, 16:27
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

I am glad that you are looking forward to visiting. The first thing you have to understand that TV and movies is fake, make believe. The only thing that is accurate is the tall buildings and the color of the taxis. Beyond that--connection to reality is tenuous at best.

1. It is impossible to predict what the weather will be. It can be cold and snowy or it can be as warm as the 50's ( Farenheit) A week before you come if you check back there will be long range forecasts out which "may' be more accurate.

2. not my forte--someone else will respond.

3.Why are you planning on riding taxis. They are an expensive unnecessary way of getting around NYC. Use the subway.

4. Yes it is safe to visit Harlem. It is not the terrible area portrayed in movies. In fact, there are sections of Harlem where the homes are so expensive that most can't afford to live there.

5. What do you mean by non-stop? Of course it stops--people have to get on and off. If you mean does it run 24/7, yes it runs all the time. The NYC subway is safe to ride at all times. THe biggest problem at night is getting a seat. As a single female I come and go at all hours. You will get a one week metro card and love the public transportation system.

6. Most people in NYC are peaceful. The ghetto attitude you see in the movies is mostly --just there--in the movies. Yes, you'll find an occasional person in real life with this attitude, but I am sure you find people with problems in Romania too.

Your English is fine. Don't worry!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

Nobody can accurately predict weather except God. Be prepared for the cold. No need to take the taxi while in Manhattan, the subway is safe, and fast and cheap. Nomstop? It makes a lot of stops. Previous posters have given you good referrence sites regarding its use, or chech out the thread in this forum called The Idiots Guide to the subway.

Harlem is safe. The subways are safe, .new York is safe. You do not have to go to a mall for great shopping deals. You have come at the perfect time when goods are marked done drastically to make way for the next season's merchandise. Head to the big department stores and have the time of your life shopping.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

Thank you all for your quick answers. There were very helpful to me.

On the other hand, I don't want to be rude but some of you misjudged me because of the stereotypes I have written due to my movies experience. I admit I've seen too many crime movies because this is my favorite movie genre. Some of the people here told me that I don't know anything about NY and that is wrong. I know a lot about the most famous buildings (like Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Chrysler building, Flatiron Building, Trump Building, Metropolitan Tower Building etc), I know exactly which museums I want to visit, I have decent knowledge of the NY's map, what I really don't know is the people, the interaction between people who came there from all around the world, including countries with very high crime rate, that's why I asked some questions that might offend some people (and I really apologize again for that).

I am not a naive person, I am an experienced traveler for my age and as long as I am traveling with 2 of my cousins, I would like to try to go to some places frequented by african-american people or hispanic people too and I don't know what to expect from them, if they will accepting us or not...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

I have read all the other responses and no one here has told you that you don't know anything about NY or anything derogatory. Everyone has been most helpful telling you that the city is safe and that there is no need to take a taxi everywhere (sure, when you are tired and can find one, even I take it as a "treat" or when I am lazy). There has bee nothing offensive in any of the replies.

However never base your opinions on a place, a person, an event on what you see from the cinema.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

Give the guy a break ....... I think the first reply of " your making a huge number of incorrect assumptions and mistakes about NYC " might be a slight over reaction to Mihai's account of what he thinks NYC may or may not be like he is a first time visitor ! ....... Give valuable tips and advice or just don't bother.... Mihai have a great trip and for the record your English is great ..... Enjoy :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

First I want to point out on the ride side of this page is a column titled Top Questions about NYC and many of the questions you ask are answered there. The 5th bullet down is "what will the weather be like. But I'll answer you specifically

1) The weather forecasters here are often wrong and can't forecast what tomorrow will be let alone next month. Regardless of rain or snow, it doesn't stop people from going about their business and it shouldn't stop you from doing whatever you want to do. The bad weather you may have heard about was the recent superstorm that was an unusual occurance. Jan. of last year and in fact all last winter was very mild. Here's a website that will show you what the weather was in previous years for any time in any location. (This is useful for you to know for other destinations)

wunderground.com/history/…

2) The biggest discount shopping outlet is Woodbury Commons. You can get a bus there from Port Authority bus terminal but the roundtrip fare is ~ $45. Many locals feel it's not necessary to use a day of your visit to go outside the city to shop when there's very good shopping IN NYC. Macys department store, Lord & Taylor and Bloomingdales all offer visitors a discount and in Jan. there will be loads of sales in the stores. You will likely find better quality IN NYC. A lot of the things sold at the outlets are made for the outlets.

3) You will want to learn how to use the subway to get around. Taking taxis everywhere is expensive.

nyccabfare.com

will estimate the cost though but on the right column, the 4th bullet down is a guide on how to ride the subway.

4) Some parts of Harlem are safe and some are less safe. There are both walking tours and bus tours if you don't feel comfortable going on your own.

5) Yes, the subway is safe but use common sense. Don't flash money around. Be aware of your surroundings.

6) I'm not up on hip hop clubs but there's a Hip Hop tour that people seem to like

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d55…

http://www.zerve.com/hiphoplook

PS Your English is better than my Roumanian

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some questions about the weather, shopping and safety

On the RIGHT side of this page. Sorry for the typo in my first sentence. The column is not on the app, only on the full website.