We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brighton Beach - Alive and Kicking

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,017 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Brighton Beach - Alive and Kicking

Went for a quick visit yesterday morning. While there are still some signs of Sandy, the main Boulevard is open for business and the Babushkas are out in full force. Visited my favorite store, the nut and candy store, Vintage Food 287 Brighton Beach between 2nd and 3rd. All kinds of terrific chocolates here. Hint: Anything with camels or squirrels pictured on the wrapper is good. Had a nice beef Pirogee at the window to the left of Vintage.

Everything is back except for one glaring exception. Sorry Mel! M&I is closed for good. Word is that their owners got tired and their spoiled kids didn't want to continue to legacy.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brighton Beach - Alive and Kicking

Glad to hear that BB is back and in the swing of things. Yeah - I was hoping that someone would revive M&I, but alas, it is not to be. Glad that the candy and nut store [I definitely know the one that you mean] is still there. One of the coolest stores in BK.

I also like Kalinka Gifts, but only because I have a cousin named Kalinka.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brighton Beach - Alive and Kicking

M&I has gone downhill in the past two years... too bad, though.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brighton Beach - Alive and Kicking

Great news. Thanks

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,017 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brighton Beach - Alive and Kicking

As long as M&I carried those waffle tarts with condensed milk I was a happy camper. Now I had to buy a cheap imitation elsewhere. It was surreal to see it shut

5. Re: Brighton Beach - Alive and Kicking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 21:16