We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip plan - Advice please :)

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip plan - Advice please :)

Hey All!!

DH and I are planning this trip for Dec 2013. Any input or suggestions is most welcomed!

22nd Dec

• Brooklyn Bridge.

• Wall street.

• Ground Zero (Fulton Street, Manhattan).

• Statue of Liberty/Ellis island. (South Ferry, manhattan).

• NYSE Christmas tree (26 Wall St NY).

• Carols and Christmas Tree (South St & Fulton St, NY).

23rd Dec (window display looking)

• Empire state building (350 5th Avenue, New York)

• Macy’s (151 West 34th Street, New York)

• Lord and Taylor (424 5th Avenue, New York, NY, United States)

• Grand central station (87 East 42nd Street, New York)

• Bryant Park (41 West 40th Street, New York)

• Ninetendo world (10 Rockefeller Plaza, New York)

• Saks Fifth avenue (‪611 5th Avenue‬, New York)

• Henri Bendel (712 5th Avenue, New York,)

Tiffany & Co (727 Fifth Ave, New York)

• Bergdorf Goodman (754 5th Avenue, New York)

• FAO Swartz (767 5th Avenue, Manhattan)

• Apple Store (767 5th Avenue, New York,)

• Bloomingdales (1000 3rd Avenue, New York)

24th Dec

Brighton beach. (Brighton Beach Avenue, Brooklyn).

• New York Aquarium. (602 Surf Avenue, New York).

• Coney island/luna park. (Surf Avenue, New York).

• Dyker Heights Chrissy lights (10th Avenue to 14th Avenue and from 82rd to 86th Street, Brooklyn).

25th Dec

• Rockafella centre. Top of the rock (30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York)

• St patricks Cathedral (460 Madison Avenue, New York)

• Rockettes concert or theatre show.

26th Dec

Hayden Planetarium (81 Central Park West, New York‬)

• Central Park & iceskating (Manhattan)

• Freds Restaurant (‪660 Madison Avenue‬, New York‬)

• Park Avenue (Manhattan)

27th Dec

• M&M world. (1600 Broadway, New York)

• Ripley’s believe it or not (234 West 42nd Street, New York)

• Maddame Tassauds (234 W 42nd St, NY)

• Times square(Theatre District, NY)

• The View Restaurant (1535 Broadway, New York, NY, United States)

TIA

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

You're planning to do all of this in the span of 4 - 5 days after a transPacific flight from Oz?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

The Aquarium is closed due to storm damage. The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are closed due to storm damage. Luna Park is closed for winter. The NYSE Christmas Tree is in front of 20 Broad Street, not 26 Wall Street.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

Do you actually mean December 2013 (as in NEXT year) as you have written, or is it actually for this year (as in 2 weeks)?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

You do know that the Apple Store on 5th Avenue doesn't have windows as it is underground?

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

Yes moreFFmiles, I do. We are not the type to sit and watch the clouds pass us by. Alot of it is just walking and looking. I'm not sure how far "a long walk" is for New Yorkers but we are happy to walk several kilometres a day. Doesn't bother us.

Melbtraveller: Yep I do mean 2013. So next year.

M4RKM: Sorry In that window looking list there is a couple that I do actually plan to look around like Apple, Nintendo world etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

I think your first day is too packed - for example the 9/11 Memorial will take a good couple of hours due to queuing and then spending time there. A couple of hours for Staten Island and walking around Battery Park, a good few hours for Brooklyn - I would check out the Dumbo area while I was over there.

Don't forget it may be snowing and will be cold so there is only so long you'll want to be out!

Are you doing the High Line? I enjoyed that walk and the views across town. Start with breakfast at the Standard underneath it in the West Village.

And to the person who commented re all of this after a long flight. I've never had jet lag doing Australia to New York. Am ready for a nap around 4pm on the first day but that's because I don't sleep a lot on planes.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

I know, I really do. We just visited New York from Australia and crammed in as much as we could. And when we got there, we wished we had an unplanned first day. Looking around, just taking in the city, should not be on a schedule - and this comes from an over planner!

Pick one tour or attraction per day, and then have a list of other things to do if you get time. You won't waste any time, but you won't drive yourself crazy trying to tick everything off the list. I love shopping, and I never even got to Macy's and Bloomingdales.... And they were on my list. The other consideration are the crowds at Christmas. It will slow things down.

The ice rink at the Rockefeller Center was opened the last day of our trip. We spent an hour watching all the skaters and enjoying the moment. Make time and space for those moments, they are precious! Have a wonderful trip and enjoy planning.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

Nice itinerary! Hope you get it all accomplished! Have fun.

Always be prepared to flex your schedule as the sights just seem to soak up so much time, especially if you take lots of photos.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

The first advice it to get a map, and see where things are. For example - have a downtown day where you can take the SI ferry, then walk up Broadway passing the Bull, Wall Street, St. Pauls, Trade Center and the Brooklyn Bridge.

The other thing is that you want to leave lots of room for spontaneity and just walking around. While I do not see Greenwich Village on your list, spending a couple of hours in the afternoon wandering around the West Village, and then finding a nice place to eat there would be a great way to spend some time.

It looks to me like you have made yourself a laundry list of sites, without much of a plan. I would pare the list down, do fewer things, and spend time enjoying what you do.

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip plan - Advice please :)

Thanks guys. The way our flight is schedule we should not have a problem with jetlag if we stay awake the day our flight comes in. So maybe we can catch a flight the day before and then just relax the first day.

We were not interested Greenwich village. Basically the only reason we are coming to New York is not necessarily to see all off New York, but to (hopefully) enjoy a New York Christmas spirit with all the lights and festivities and hopefully a bit of snow.

I have put sections of NY together each day, but I might get a map and see how far walking distances are etc.

As for spontaneity we are will get bored just sitting and doing nothing. We would rather be doing something. If we don't get it all done, we are not too concerned but the main thing is being in the Christmas spirit and seeing what New York has to offer :)