We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment rental - should I tip?

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment rental - should I tip?

I understand the general principles for tipping (bars, restaurants, taxis etc.) but am not sure whether I should tip the person who meets us on arrival at the apartment we are renting for four nights? I guess not, but don't want to cause a problem!

Also should we leave any money behind when we leave for the maid? I don't think the maid visits during our stay.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

You're renting an apartment for four nights? I hope you don't mean what you seem to mean, because you may have done something illegal and/or gotten scammed badly.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

Or are you trying to irritate the regulars on here by combining two of the most contentious topics on thiis forum? Perhaps unwittingly as you are a new poster, but if you have actually booked an apartment you could have caused big problems for yourself never mind whether or not you should tip the possiblly ficticious apartment greeter.

Sorry if this is a genuine question but it does sound like it could be a wind-up.

If you are genuine read LMVManchester's link very soon.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

Hadn't seen the New York legislation. We only booked this last week for travel at the end of this week, on the recommendation of a close friend who used the same booking service for an apartment they stayed as a family in the Summer.

I've paid a 20% deposit by credit card through PayPal (surprised it wasn't more) so whilst PP won't provide any protection (what a surprise) my CC is liable under Section 75 of the UK Consumer Credit Act. The balance of $1650 is due on arrival by CC again.

I don't know if they are genuinely trying to provide apartments with the law in pursuit but either way I don't support illegal activity (especially in my profession) so it's going to be a hotel and a claim under Section 75.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

@fundriver: it is/was a genuine question sorry to have troubled you.

Regarding tipping when in Rome...

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,522 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

Well done robfsg. It must please the regular posters to this forum who are continuously posting warnings of the dangers of apartment rentals in NYC to finally see someone like yourself so readily willing to accept advice.

Have a great trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

Hi, just a quick observation.........I have read and understand (or so I thought) the legislation regarding apartment rental in NYC, but was curious to read about how NYC and Airbnb were working together after Sandy to assist in accommodating NYers who needed a place to stay. I thought it was very generous of the hosts and admirable that both the Mayors office and the Governor would publicly promote an organization that normally supposedly offers illegal accommodation. I thought the partnership was a wonderful display of cooperation in a time of such need. I am confused though - does Airbnb provide legal accommodation or is it the same as other short-term apartment rental places? Thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

Airbnb also provides hosted rentals - that is, you stay in the apartment while the host/owner is living there (eg - renting a spare bedroom). Doing that is fine.

9. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 December 2012, 16:05
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,191 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment rental - should I tip?

GWB that is really nasty. The OP already said she is changing to a hotel. NO need for such harsh, and rude, words.