We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

limleg
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

so guys back on thursday morning and have been getting ready for xmas- hence the delay in report.

I had took notes of what we did on my phone but i dropped said phone into a cup of tea so going to try and wing it from memory.

sorry if its long winded lol

landed at JFK on sat 1st of dec around 2pm

after realising that the taxi cue had moved indoors after standing outside for 10mins ( we were all very excited and paying no attention) got a taxi to our hotel 'The Stay Hotel' in times square and were there for 3ish. Hotel was lovely, really modern and the double room we had booked was spacious enough for our needs.

We got freshened up and went down toThe Aspen social club in the lobby for a cocktail, it took almost 40 mins to get 1 drink and the bar had very few patrons ( will do a seperate report on the hotel also) but boy were the drinks lethal, we had 1 each and were very tipsy so all was forgiven.

We made our way out to get try and get food and take in times square, we went to Dallas bbq (recommended by a friend)- this place was crazy, we have nothing like this at home, cattle market springs to mind in terms of getting seated. We each had a good dinner though and huge cocktails that were so tasty.

We started to fade after travelling all day so we headed back to the hotel for an early night.

Just to add i dont sleep very well and am a smoker (tut tut) so i would normally on holidays get up during the night and go outside for a smoke, we were on the 8th floor so i pulled on a hoody and uggs and headed down- when all of a sudden as the lift decends past the 3rd floor the music was blaring, got to the lobby and low and behold there was a full scale nightclub going on. i must stress we heard nothing from the 8th floor so i was shocked and a little embarrassed in my uggs and hoodie.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
limleg
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

day 2

Sunday 2nd dec

We were up early as in 5am early, showered and out the door for 7am. The weather was great and when i say great i mean i love autum and it was like a sun kissed autum day kinda great.

We headed to the subway (1st time using it for all 4 of us) got the 7 day unlimited pass and it was thee best purchase of the trip for me.

Have to add here that i had done serious stalking and searching trip advisor months in advance before our trip so i was suppose to be the one in the know but after i swiped my metro card i pushed the turnstile wrong :( while the other 3 walked through like pros lol and i was stuck until a very kind man who was exiting swiped his card for me without even a word! so nice of him. (this was the first of a long list of randomly nice gestures and help from strangers on this trip for this report il type in RAOK random actsof kindness)

We found the subway so easy to use and i used hopstop for routes of where we wanted to go and printed them before we left.

We headed to The village ( hope thats right) to see carrie bradshaws and the friends buildings (got lost and a man walking his dog approached us to see if he could help us RAOK again) and i have to say this was real newyork for us, the tree lined streets where stunning and there were alot of people out walking there dogs and going for breakfast! was great to walk around!

We found a little cafe called Cafe angelique that was delish and the staff were so helpful, we loved just sitting watching the world go by outside.

We then headed back to the subway around 10am and got the train to the port authority as we were going to Jersey gardens to shop

Jersey garden was great, i got so much stuff for my husband and 6yr but another of the girls with us didnt really like it and thought it was a waste for her. my advice would be if your looking to find the lastest in fashions at bargin prices stay in the manhattan but if you need to get proactical clothing, ie converse, pjs hoodies then the trip would be worth while.

We got back into manhattan for 4.30ish and dumped our bags at the hotel, got freshed up and went down to the rockafella centre to do the TOTR which was great! We had dinner at The irish Bar which was also recommended by a friend and was good.

Got back to the hotel about 11ish and crashed

limleg
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

Monday 3rd dec

Woke up around 7am, got ready and headed on the subway to the 9/11 memorial.

We stopped as we were early for our 10am booking and had breakfst at Joes diner which was great and so cheap.

We got lost again here and again a lady stopped and put us on the right road (RAOK)(we must haved looked confused and bewildered for strrangers to keep taking pity on us)

Went through security in our tshirts as it was so sunny and warm and into the memorial-it is so peaceful, literally we all felt it as soon as we walked in and commented, we stayed for an hour or so reading the names and just sitting in the sun reflecting.

We left then and headed to soho to see the shops, we purchased a good few things here and walked the lenght of 5th avenue taking in the windows and buildings along the way, by this stage 2 of us were pretty beat and had seriously sore feet so we took the others bags and headed back to the hotel, grabbing a hotdog on our way!

We went for an early diner around 5 as the others where heading out for the night, (i had changed my mind due to the seriously sore feet), they got ready and headed out around 10 and i chilled in the room until they came back around 2 with a huge pizza- dont know where hey got it from but it was yummy lol!

limleg
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

Tuesday 4thdec

I got up early around 7am and headed out an hour later to toys r us to get some Santa shopping done, it was great, the store was empty so I took my time and really enjoyed having a good nosey around.

Brought teas back for the girls and we had breakfast at a cafe close to the hotel, can't recall the name.

We headed to Macy's and then spent the rest of the day shopping and getting lost (lots of RAOK including a girl wiping out her iPhone and waitin an age for directions to load up) love love love newyorkers

We had tickets to see elf on broadway for 7 and we wanted to catch the light display at saks as this was our last chance so we headed across the road from our hotel for dinner ( again can't recall the name though it was an Irish restaurant) and this was the first bad meal I had, though the other 3s dinners were grand they said, I really wasn't impressed.

Headed to saks, watched the amazing light show and ended up having to get a taxi as wee were running late for the show!

I want to put in here that I don't like musicals at all but found the show funny though not my cup of tea, the others really really loved it!

Headed back to the hotel to pack our cases

limleg
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

Last day in the big city the weather was fab!

We had a quick breakfast next door to the hotel and split up into two groups as some needed to head back to fifth ave for last minute shopping.

We hung around Times Square and saw a flash mob a sophoria, brill!! Then went to and chilled on the red seats as the weather was great!

Met back up with the others and got the subway to the middle of Central Park west and walked back down through, we really took our time, stopping for ice cream and paying $s for jokes, watching the skaters and checking out the plaza! Such a nice chilled day before the long journey home!

Got back to the hotel and we gave our subway passes to the staff asking if they could give them to someone they knew could use them, turned out they said they would use them themselves which was great all round.

Headed back to JFK for a looong flight and drive home!

Thank you to everyone who helped me plan and for all the strangers who stopped to help the 4 lost looking Irish girls!

I really do love NYC! Until next time x

Manhattan NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

Hi,

Enjoyed your trip report very much. Sounds like you had a really good, and busy, time.

You learned the hard lesson of first-timers to NYC. Bring comfortable shoes! NYC is a walking town, and walking is the best and most popular way of getting around. You will know for next time!

I loved the comments you had about helpful New Yorkers, and the RAOK tag. For many years, justified or not, New Yorkers had the rep of being rude and unfriendly, especially among other Americans. As you found, that is no longer true, if it ever was. We go out of our way to be helpful. (Being 4 young and beautiful Irish lassies may have helped a bit!)

PS My folks came from Mayo (God save us) many year ago.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

What a great trip report! Feeling guilty for not writing mine yet on my September trip to Ireland... Glad you had a great time! I think the Irish restaurant near Macy's could be Tir Na nog ... It can be hit or miss.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

I love reading trip reports, and yours was no exception !........thanks for posting it..

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

Great report, thanks for sharing :)

North east england
Level Contributor
724 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

Great report - we're heading there in May 2013, 1st timers also, thanks for sharing. Cant wait!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report for a very warm winters holiday in the big apple

Really enjoyed reading this. I'm visiting NY for my first time next month and I will be doing the same when I return :)