We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

Lafayette, Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

I am planning a surprise trip to NYC in December with my daughter who is 25. She has been going through a rough time for a few months and this is my Christmas gift to her. I want to spend two nights somewhere near Time's Square. I don't have a huge budget so I was hoping for under 200 for hotel. I would love to take her to see Phantom and other than that we would just like to take in the Christmas decorations. I would be driving to hotel and parking for the rest of the trip (coming from Indiana). It would be great to stay somewhere that has it's own parking provided. This will be my first trip to New York. She has been once but was just driving through on her way home so she hasn't spent the night there before. I would love all of the expert advice I can get!

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
New York
New York
United States
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

December has some of the priciest hotel dates. It's a wildly popular time to visit and hotel prices fluctuate with demand.

Whether you can find something in Manhattan near your budget will depend on your exact dates. There are lots of reasonable Manhattan options for under $200 the weekend before Xmas . This coming weekend is more expensive. New Year's weekend is through the roof.

Note that staying near Times Square is not necessarily the "best" or "most central" area to stay. It is unpleasantly crowded and the restaurants aren't very good. It's a place you'll want to visit, but will then be happy to leave and head to another area.

You will also need to pay for parking. Very few Manhattan hotels provide free or low cost parking.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

Hey Tina P:-) Spontaneous travel can be great;-) Have you thought of just flying instead?! Sounds like allot of driving.. gas.. tolls, etc.. for a r/t for only a couple of nights! Take a look at www.kayak.com/ and see if there is anything that may work for you! Personally, I wouldn't want to be driving in.. or out.. of the City during the Holidays.. unless you're used to major gridlock, traffic.. people.. can be pretty stressful;-) Not many hotels have parking included that I know of but am sure the info on those that do will soon be advised for you;-) I know from friends visiting out of town, most will provide info on a nearby parking garage they deal with.. even park it for you;-) Happy planning.. and EnjOY!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

I should mention... if you need two beds rather than sharing a queen or king, that increases prices and also means fewer hotel options. You may want to consider staying outside of Manhattan and taking a short subway ride in. Parking will be cheaper too.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,275 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

Long Island City, is not that far from Manhattan and is a more economical place to stay.........

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

Also possible to stay on the Upper West Side and then take the subway in to the shows.... Tastier restaurants and a more relaxed feel. There will be a few more destination experts who chime in to give some names of hotels to check.... I doubt that you will find anywhere that will not charge for parking the car.

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

Also, don't mix up Long Island with Long Island City. Long Island City is a neighborhood in Queens, Long Island is a completely different city in New York.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
New York
New York
United States
new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

You may want to look at staying in New Jersey. Hotels are cheaper and there are trains and buses that run into the city on a regular basis.

hotelguides.com/new-jersey/jersey-gardens-ou…

www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv…

I've stayed at the Clinton Inn. http://www.clinton-inn.com/

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
conn
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

Take a look at Groupon, they had some NYC offers.

9. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 07:11
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spontanious trip to NYC with daughter...need advice!

There are hotels in Long Island City with free parking, and the advntage over being in New Jersey is that you have the NYC subway right there. What are the exact dates youa re thinking of?

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States