We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

above ground trains?

MISSISSIPPI
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
above ground trains?

We need some time to rest in the afternoons, but want to still make use of our time.

We have metro cards and wanted to know if there is a particular train we could hop to see some above ground views? It would be interesting to see some other boroughs. We would like to just ride the train there and back.

We plan to do the free staten island ferry one afternoon for some sit-down time as well.

Any ideas?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: above ground trains?

the 7 train perhaps?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: above ground trains?

The 7 train in both directions has some above ground sections and a few others. Here's an old thread on the subject but doublecheck the current subway map. I don't know which of these might have been affected by the recent storm. I don't think the 7 was.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1571834…

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: above ground trains?

You could maybe check out the Roosevelt Island tram too. This is also covered by your Metrocard and you get some great views from it. There are some seats around the edges to take the weight off your feet for a few minutes too :-)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: above ground trains?

I have a few favorites. One is actually in Manhattan.

#1 - One of my favorites is the 1 train. The 1 train is underground at 116th Street / Columbia University (beautiful campus and great area to explore). The 1 train is also underground at 137th Street - City College.

There is one station between the 116th and 137th Street and it is the 125th Street station. The 125th Street station is super high up and has beautiful views of the Hudson River. There is a dip in the land there and I don't recall the exact reasons (but I'll bet GWB will be able to share the details) - the 1 train couldn't be placed under ground so it is way above ground there.

#2 - I love the F train above ground at the highest station in the system - Smith-9th Streets in Brooklyn. I believe the station itself is closed for construction still but the train still passes through at the highest elevation in the system (with stunning views of New York Harbor and the lower Manhattan skyline. The train winds around so you get lovely views on both sides. It is particularly cool as you climb above the rooftops of apartment buildings. You can easily change between directions at the 4th Avenue station but while you're out there, Park Slope is one of my favorite neighborhoods for shopping and dining (particularly along both 5th and 7th Avenues)

#3 - I like the 7 train and I like the view of the Manhattan skyline between Queensboro Plaza and HuntersPoint Avenue (through Court Square)

Also, on the 7 line (on the express 7 in the peak direction). The 7 train has an express track that heading into Willets Points - Mets (on Flushing bound 7 express trains in the afternoon) goes super high up and you can see a great panorama. You can see the old World's Fair ground and then you can have a great Asian dinner in Flushing (home to one of the largest Chinese-American and Korean-American communities)

New York,NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
573 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: above ground trains?

if you would like to see the bronx the 4 train is ideal. The first stop above ground is yankee stadium. Plus this might show you a differant side of NYC.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: above ground trains?

The 7 is the way to go. The view of the skyline as you curve through Long Island City is great.

Also, here's a completely different thought: you can take a commuter train up the Hudson and turn right around. MARVELOUS views of the Palisades on the left hand side, and the seats are much comfier than on the subway. If someone wants to nap, it's much easier to nap while others enjoy the rural views.

An express train from Grand Central to Croton-Harmon takes 43 minutes. If you, say, take the 1:50 up, it gets into Croton at 2:33 and then you can take a 2:34 right back!

Edited: 12 December 2012, 16:12
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: above ground trains?

While jhwanderer suggestion is excellent, I'd suggest that if you were going to do this, stop off and enjoy one of the extremely charming very-affluent suburban towns while you are there.

Tarrytown is a very good town with a great Greek restaurant (among other options). Have a look at this link. http://www.hudsonvalley.org/node/424

Cold Spring is one of the most charming towns with great little restaurants and cafes by the train station.

Poughkeepsie is home to one of the coolest things - Walkway Across the Hudson. www.walkway.org

All are easy day trips. The scenery is great but why not get off the train and experience a cute little suburban community. Westchester and Fairfield County Connecticut is where New York's mega-wealth lives.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: above ground trains?

The Roosevelt Island tram (which is actually a cable car) is popular with tourists for aerial views. It is located at 59th and 2nd avenue.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,777 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: above ground trains?

I stayed in LIC, and the views of Manhattan as you travelled on the 7 train were special.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: above ground trains?

Also, the Q,D,N trains over the Manhattan Bridge are pretty good for riding around. You can take the N or Q (which runs on the south side of the bridge) into Brooklyn, then the D back (which runs on the north side of the Bridge). The N and D do not stop at DeKalb Avenue.

Also, the J train into Brooklyn over the Williamsburg Bridge runs through northern Brooklyn and is elevated for about 12 miles (after the first 2 or 3 you may have had enough).

The 1 is above ground at 125 St is because the land dips so much; the train does not go up; the land goes down.

The N (and Q on weekdays) goes to Astoria, also elevated in Queens. Plus there are lots of Greek restaurants along the stops past Queenboro Plaza station.

Edited: 12 December 2012, 20:20