We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new york

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
new york

We are planning to go to Las vegas via New york. Planning to stay six days in New York and ten days in Salt Lake city. Where my relatives are there. Planning to go from there Grand Cannian, Rocky Mountain and Vegas. We will not be driving. We are retired people.If some one can advise me how to travel best in those places.

Is it better to book three days in new york and two days in Washinton. We want to go to Niagra fall .as well., How to go about and how much will be the average clean accomadation and how much do we need to spend everday.

Planning the trip in sept 2013. hope that will be low season.

Manju

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new york

Three days in NYC is just way too short. There is enough to do here and keep you occupied without all the proposed side trips. Just so you know, Niagara Falls is nowhere near NYC, and will require either a flight to Buffalo or a lengthy bus ride. My condolences about having to spend ten days in Salt Lake City.

In NYC and Wasbhington DC you do not need a car, and it would be an inconvenience. In the rest of the country - a car will be almost mandatory.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new york

Wow, that's a very big question covering lots of different areas.

Hotel prices will be different for each place and fluctuate (sometimes by a tremendous amount) depending on your exact dates. September is a pricey time for NYC hotels. Exactly how pricey will depend on your exact dates. You will probably be able to find comfortable accommodation outside of Manhattan (but still in NYC and a quick subway ride away) for about $130/night plus ~15% tax.

Niagara Falls is very far from NYC. If you want to go, there are relatively inexpensive flights from JFK to BUF. You could connect with a tour operator there.

You can easily spend six days in NYC. Whether you want to spend some in Washington DC is really your decision and we don't know enough about your interests to guide you. Transportation between NYC and DC is easy and you don't need a car in either place

What you will spend each day is very hard to predict. It depends on what you want to do (admission prices), how you want to eat, whether you drink, etc.

You will need to rely on a tour to do Grand Canyon since you don't want to drive. I'm not sure how you can do the Rocky Mountains without driving. For Vegas, you can fly or possibly get a bus from Salt Lake City.

For estimated hotel prices for Vegas, DC, Grand Canyon, Vegas, etc you'll need to post to those forums.

Edited: 13 December 2012, 23:33
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,897 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new york

There are several tour companies that would cover the Western United States. Here is one with several options. Other than a tour, I can think of no other way to see outside the cities without a car.

globusjourneys.com/Vacation-Packages/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new york

Sept. is definitely NOT low season in NYC (very expensive thattme of year) and I doubt it's low season in any of the other places you list.

There are many nontop flights from NYC to Las Vegas.

Kayak.com

Is a good place to look for rates, airlines etc but it may be too early for best prices for next Sept. You can drive from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon. If you cant drive or don't want to, there are bus tours. Here's one with very good reviews

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g45963-d66…

You'd get more information from the Las Vegas forum on that.

How much time to spend in each place is a very personal thing. You write as though you're Asian and it seems Asians are more likely to want to cover as much ground as possible regardless of how short a time they visit. Most Americans, especially on this forum, would rather see less spending more time in each place. It doesn't make one right or wrong...just different point of view.

I can't emphasize enough how very expensive hotels are in NYC in Sept. after Sept 3 which is a bank holiday here. If you can start the trip in late August and come to NYC first, your budget will go much further.

5. Re: new york

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 06:17