We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

Little Silver, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

My 7 yo daughter is a huuuuge fan of Foodnetwork Cupcake wars. She asked me if we could get in to the best cupcake store of NYC. We will be staying around 35th Street/Empire State. She's doing so good at school. So, as part of our escapades i want to include the cupcake store. Thanks in advance.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

Take a look at this list for some ideas:

www.zagat.com/buzz/8-best-cupcakes-in-nyc

I can vouch for the first 5 on the list. Of the remainder, the only one I've been to was Butter Lane---and I wasn't impressed.

Edited: 14 December 2012, 00:34
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

Not too far from where you're staying, you could try Baked by Melissa. These are small cupcakes (about the size of a quarter), with some hits and misses when it comes to the flavors. My husband really likes the mint chocolate chip one:

www.bakedbymelissa.com/checkout/index.aspx

Also, nearby---Crumbs.:

http://www.crumbs.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

Baked by Melissa is a great option esp if you want to try different flavors because they are tiny. I love the pb & J!

I'm not a fan of Crumbs. They are more focused on their brand and opening new stores and IMO the quality has gone way down. Buttercup on 2nd Ave in the low 50s is terrific. If you or she like red velvet, you should definitely check it out.

Little Silver, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

ohh guys thank u so much for all the inputs! i will sure check them all. if its not too much to ask... any reco for good flavors??? :) thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

I happen to like Sugar Sweet Sunshine in the LES but this is very much a matter of opinion. There are tons of places that sell cupcakes and they seem to pop up every day.

Cabo Rojo, Puerto...
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

Magnolias bakery is the best!!!!

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
88 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

Baked By Melissa are great -bite sized cupcakes and you can eat more than 1 and not feel too guilty. Not a fan of Butter Lane. Crumbs cupcakes and Magnolia Cupcakes are pretty good too!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

I love Sugar Sweet Sunshine, but there are many great cupcake shops in NYC! Also check out Two Little Red Hens, Molly's, Georgetown Cupcakes and Sprinkles. Don't bother with Magnolia unless you like dry, overly sweet cupcakes.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

NYCforMe --- I was wondering --- have you tried all the cupcakes on the Zagat list that I posted a link to? If so, which one is your favorite? I haven't gotten to all that are on the list---yet :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I find the best cupcake store in NY?

This is so adorable - I hope you have a wonderful trip. My favorite is Buttercup (http://buttercupbakeshop.com/) - I've always thought they were more moist than Magnolia's. Agreed on the red velvet - my husband loves them so much that I usually get him a whole cake from Buttercup for his birthday. A friend of mine who is a complete cupcake snob is trying to convert me to Sprinkles (sprinkles.com/cupcake-bakery-locations/…) - it isn't native to NYC, but they are pretty amazing.