We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

One of the nice things about living in Brooklyn is the availability of really amazing beer. Last night, I went with a buddy to Die Koelner in Park Slope. This is one of three new biergartens that opened in the past year - the others being in Greenwood Heights and Franklin Park in Prospect Heights.

Die Koelner is an uncrowded and nice place for a delicious beer. Their taps are exclusively great German beer. The food is of the wursts and pretzel variety. Long tables. Warm atmosphere. The music was at a good conversational level.

So we are at the bar and I ask for a Celebrator - one of my favorites. The bartender asked me "Large or Small" and of course I said large - expecting a pint. What I got instead was one of those huge steins that hold an unconscionable amount of beer. A liter? This thing needed two hands to hold. Now, I have never paid $20 for a beer before. But this was an uber-beer. It took us a while. But sip by delicious sip we finished. So - how many beers did you have last night - only one.

Walking back along Fifth Ave, I realized that there were just so many great choices that I could have made. VooDoo Lounge, Wolfe & Deer, Blue Print, Biercraft, High Dive, Uncle Barry's and various others were on my way home. The Gate, another fave, was only a few blocks further. Some have imported beer like Die Koelner. Others specialize in local stuff like Biercraft. And some have a wonderful mix like the gate.

Beer Paradise - Thy name is Brooklyn.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

We were at a "beer garden" here in Albany a couple of weeks ago and people were drinking out of those giant boots. I thought that was odd.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,165 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

I had one of those at a beer garden in Williamsburg. The only time in my life where I felt somewhat woozy from one beer. Had some trouble walking to zenkichi afterwards and the fact that zenkichi doesn't have a sign didn't help 😜

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

Zigster - I am betting it was either Radegast Hall or Lorely - right? It was clearly a one and done situation as neither of us could have drunk any more beer.

But, what you do point out is that there are these places throughtout the boro. Whether you happen to be in Williamsburg, Park Slope, Greenwood Heights, or Prospect Heights, there are great beer gardens to try. And while we are on the topic, let's also mention Killmeyers Old Bavaria in the Forgotten Boro and Bohemia Hall in Astoria Queens.

While you are in NYC, there is no need to resort to drinking Miller, Budweiser or [cringe] Coors Light. There are lots of places where you can get great beer. Even if it is only one.

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

I wrote down some of your bar recommends from another thread a while ago Brooklynmel so Im def coming out there (hey im Irish, what more excuse do I need?). I totally agree, German beer and Belgian beer is the best in the world (apart from Guinness most of ours sucks). Ive been to quite a few beer festivals in my time and IMO beer deserves as much tasting, snobbery?, and quotes of hints of chocolate, fruit, etc as our wine buffs have. Maybe even more so :-P

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,165 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

Ahh yes Radegast. I would add it to the list as well...

http://www.radegasthall.com/

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

Horizon - while not to denigrate either German or Belgian beer - and both are usually delicious. Allow me to put a good word in for American beer. These days, American micro-breweries are producing some of the best products in the world. And, NY is at the forefront of this movement. From the delicious crisp Belgian style beers brewed upstate at Ommegang, to the dark and sludgy Chocolate Stout made by Brooklyn Brewery - NY beers are world class.

Brooklyn Brewery. Captain Lawrence. Six Point Craft Ales. Kelso. Blue Point. Ommengang. Bronx Brewery. All brewed in NY State. All brewed with care. Sorry Bud and Coors, your days are numbered

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

Point taken. Obviously over here we have access to hundreds of European beers. Even the smallest off-licence will stock a good variety. Alas, when it comes to American beer we only see the usual miller, coors, bud etc. None of which I enjoy. But I will certainly test a few of yours when over.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

I now have great desires for both beer and Brooklyn :-)

horizon, If you like Guinness, I think you'll like Brooklyn Brewery's Chocolate Stout. I remember the excitement the day I discovered my local burrito place had started importing them... I may have squeaked.

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

Lmao. Must take something to.shift you from your resident expert seat over at the NI forum Bridget. Guess it was hearing that fsssst of a bottle being opened then lol.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Beer in Brooklyn - But I Just Had One

If you think German beer is good, just wait til you start trying the American MicroBrews. They're much better than any German can brew right now, and give a lot of the Belgian a nudge too.

Even microbrews coming out of the UK easily beat the German stuff..