We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Affinia ?

Wisconsin Dells...
9 posts
Save Topic
Which Affinia ?

I have decided to stay at one of the Affinia Hotels because of the $130 AAA rate for our upcoming trip Jan. 12. They all look like very nice hotels, I just can't decide between; Manhattan, 50 or Dumont. It will by myself (42) and my daughter (18) on this trip. Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance for your input !!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Affinia ?

Well darn.....we stayed at the Shelbourne, not on your list. Its very nice, good location, just down from Grand Central Station. Very comfortable.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Affinia ?

Dumont gets better reviews. Both would be fine.i have stayed at a few of the Affinia hotels but not the Dumont yet (booked for my July trip). All were great places to stay. The location for Dumont looks good.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Affinia ?

I've happily stayed at the Shelburne, but my daughter (13) is asking to stay at the Dumont next time because of it's proximity ao a frozen yogurt store on 34th and 3rd taht she likes --- lol!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Affinia ?

The Manhattan is the most recently renovated. Location is very convenient across from Penn station and near amacy's but not terribly attractive.

Affinia 50 is a nice location near Rockefeller center but rooms are showing wear.

Dumont has some nice views of the ESB from higher floors.

Maybe looking on

Oyster.com

Would help you.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Affinia ?

We stayed in the Dumont a few years ago. I liked the galley kitchen in our room with the full sized fridge...we got a few groceries at the market on the corner which helped off-set our meals out.

We aren't staying on our upcoming trip because we couldn't get a good rate for when we are going to be there.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
841 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Affinia ?

Out of those 3, I'd take the Dumont.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Affinia ?

I would take the Dumomt too. I really like that area as well. Some great diners close by too.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Affinia ?

We are a family of 4 (kids 17 and 21) and stay at the Dumont during our visits. Once you do, it is very hard to stay anywhere else! The spotless apartments (and I am very picky w/hotels ) provide ample space as well as kitchens. The staff is top notch and is very helpful and accommodating. There is a restaurant attached that is great and a market next door to purchase food items (to save money on breakfast or buy snacks for in between activities!). Everything you need is within walking distance and it is nice to return to a quieter area of town- Murray Hill- after being out all day. They also have a spa and a workout room. We stayed at the Shelbourne once before renovation but prefer the location of the Dumont (though they are pretty close). There is more available to you right out of the front door. The first time we stayed there we all agreed that it felt like "a home away from home." We will be returning the week of Dec. 25 for another visit (probably our 6th). Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
74 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Affinia ?

PlayAtDisney,

We've stayed at the Affinia Dumont over on the East side and the Manhattan close to Madison Square Garden. We like the Dumont hotel itself better and the location/rooms are quieter, but not very convenient to the theatre district, if that's a big part of your trip. The Affinia Manhattan is more convenient to the theatre district, our room seemed a bit more worn than the Dumont but was huge - facing noisy Seventh Ave opposite Penn Station/Madison Sq Garden. If forced to choose, we would pick Dumont as the rooms were a bit better, definitely more quiet and we prefer the Lexington/34th St. neighborhood, even though there's no real easy way to get across town, other than Shanks's pony.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
865 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Affinia ?

Last time there I stayed at the Dumont. The rooms are huge (especially for Manhattan). As mentioned theres a small kitchenette (which i must admit we didnt use) and even an office area with huge leather covered table. It is quiet at night as its a short walk away from things. Theres a subway station a few minutes away though which of course will take you everywhere. We would definitely have stayed again in a few weeks time when we are coming back (i checked loads of sites for its prices) but couldnt believe how much more expensive it had got. It was almost thought of as a well kept secret 5-6yrs ago and even on a december trip it was amazingly cheap. But it got brilliant reviews over and over at TA and i think someone decided it was time for a price hike lol. I wish i could have stayed again this year but we went for the Wellington instead. But 100% recommend the Affinia Dumont.