We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 1 night

Sydney
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for 1 night

Hello,

I am traveling on my own to NYC to meet my best friends from the UK. I arrive the day before at JFK at 10pm with Virgin Atlantic. Hopefully they will be on time.

My friends arrive the next day at 430pm

We are staying together for 4 nights on corner of 58 and 3rd street.

My query is where should I stay on the night I am on my own?

I don't want to spend $250 if I am literally there for 10 hours and meant to be asleep!

I wouldn't mind having a late check out but also where I can wonder around on my own, feel the vibe, then meet up with them later that day at 530pm at our apartment.

Also I have to bear in mind if I dont stay near my final accommodation I have to lug the suitcase on the tube as I heard taxi generally are very slow & expensive.

I don't know how busy it is and if there is much to do around 58/3rd street-otherwise I would stay around there.

Any help welcome, Thanks in Adavance

Edited: 16 December 2012, 00:04
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 1 night

A couple of points I would make on your post. Firstly are you aware that short term apartment rentals are illegal mostly in New York?

Being in the area you intend staying for an extra night would be fine. Plenty to do around there but I would check if the apartment s an illegal rental or scam.

Sydney
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 1 night

We found it on house trip. What is considered short term? How can we find this out? There are 8 of us going. They arrive Saturday fly out Wednesday.

Sydney
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 1 night

I am trying to work out how to check as the link on the "New York: Vacation Apartment Rentals" has expired

Sydney
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 1 night

www.housetrip.com/en/rentals/149616…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 1 night

A five bedroom apartment? hmmmm .... The vast majority are illegal to rent for less than 30 days. Many more are scams

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Edited: 16 December 2012, 01:10
Sydney
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 1 night

I read this post and other documents. I don't know how to confirm its a scam. I went to the DOB website. My friends have paid. What can we do?!

Its not for another two months. I know it sounds unlikely the more I read information about Manhattan and securing such an apartment.

Sydney
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 1 night

Is there someone we can email? With the link to find out if its a legal rental?

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 1 night

It's legal to stay in an apartment or house as long as the residents are still living there. However, chances are you're talking about renting the property while the owners are away. Not only is renting a residence for under 30 days illegal (and it's sketchy even past that time, and many have been evicted by landlords), the vast majority of offers are scams. The apartment doesn't exist, and you just wired $3000 to a man in Botswana. Even if the residents are claiming to stay in the apartment with you to make it legal, don't trust any offers you see online. If you want to stay in an apartment or house in New York City, make sure you already have a friend or family member to do so.

Sydney
Level Contributor
149 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for 1 night

Is that an example you used about Botswana? feel sick.

How can we check?! Is there a link?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for 1 night

How much did you pay for this "apartment"? Is it in Manhattan or Brooklyn?

Never mind, I see it's near Central Park.

Edited: 16 December 2012, 01:57