We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

My husband and I will be coming to NYC in September 2013 for 6 nights.

We haven't booked yet though - we're waiting until the new year when we will have the last of our money saved, and can then book our flights and hotel at the same time.

After extensive research we finally found a hotel that ticked our boxes and was also within our somewhat tight budget ($150 a night), which was the Z Hotel in LIS.

I have checked again to see that rooms are still available - obviously that's a risk that we take whilst waiting to book - and there are still rooms for our dates. BUT - they have now gone up by quite a lot, taking us outside of our budget. (About $400 more expensive now total.) This is the case via both the hotel directly and booking.com, which is where I previously found the best price.

So - my question is - is this a normal thing to happen with NYC hotel prices do people know? Is it to do with the fact that we're coming up to Christmas or something? (Although I'm not sure why that would affect Sep next year!) Are the prices likely to drop again in the New Year?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

Most hotels dont charge anything at time of booking for a cancelable rate and many of the 3rd party websites like quikbook don't either. But I know hotels.com typically does charge when you book and if you cancel, credits your card. You seem to be keen to book an air/hotel package and most of those in the US require you pay upfront and they,re non cancelable; but I've heard some Brits talk about paying over time. I think you need to PHONE the booking site to be sure. As for changing prices, happens all the time.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

I agree with Audenand bilmin -- the Z is not well located, and the shuttle is not convenient. Here is my standard post on Long Island City hotels:

The usual Long Island City hotels that we recommend based on their locations are the Verve, the Vetiver, the Country Inn and Suites, the Quality Inn on 40th Avenue, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge, and the Comfort Inn on Crescent Street.

Not quite as convenient, but possible, are the Ramada, the Wyndham Manahttan View, the LaQuinta (which is really in Sunnyside, and not LIC, near the 40th Street station of the #7 subway), and the Quality Inn on Queens Boulevard (which is really in Woodside, near the 52nd Street station of the #7.)

The hotels with Long Island City addresses that are not as well located (either because of distance from transportation, or noisy/ugly/ inconvenient /questionable site) are the Days Inn on Queens Boulevard, the Z, the Best Western City View, the Fairfield Inn, and the Queensboro Hotel.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

Thanks all.

We won't be booking an air/hotel package, what I meant was we wanted to book the flights and hotel at the same time - but still independently of each other. That was because we hadn't considered cancelleable rates.

Thanks for the info GreenWhiteBlue. People keep trying to warn me off the Z because of location...and we liked the look of it so much! But may not be an option now anyway.

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

We were able to get a room for much cheaper on our last trip by just paying close attention to all the booking websites available. Prices fluctuate quite a bit, but once you're locked in for a reservation it won't change unless you cancel. If you have a hotel with an easy cancellation fee (preferably allowing free cancellations up until shortly before check-in), you can simply book a different room in the same hotel under a different email, check that it's valid, and then cancel on the original reservation.

The most important part is not only making sure that the new reservation is valid, but that the CANCELLATION is valid. We switched hotels for our trip last year because a different one nearby offered a room of the same size with an additional kitchenette for the same/lower price, and the cancelled hotel actually took our deposit on the check-in date anyways. They were very determined to avoid giving us a refund, and we were lucky enough to have a receptionist from our hometown who decided "Screw bureaucracy" and got us the refund.

Since we were still a bit mistrustful after seeing the manager try to harangue us with red tape, we move most of the money into a different account later that day and took out a lot of it in cash. Lo and behold, they had attempted to take our deposit back the next day and were a bit confused by the lack of money in our account.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

Cody - You don't need to use a different e-mail address. Just rebook it, then cancel the more expensive one.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

Arsenalgirl, being a convenient walk from a subway station is terribly important. Please don't be seduced by pretty hotel pics if the hotel is not conveniently located. Do not rely on a hotel shuttle. It will be frustrating, especially when returning to your hotel.

The ZHotel has an hourly shuttle to and fro mManhattan. Traffic may cause delays. It will be a huge pain to have to plan your days on an hourly shuttle schedule, even if it's reliable.

Note that many hotels do not list with general booking sites this far in advance. You will see more options 6 months before travel time.

One good LIC option would be Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City. If you go to their website, they have availability starting at $125. This is fully cancellable and includes hot breakfast. Rooms have refrig and microwave, which is always nice to have. I would just book that, then start looking again at the end of March, when it's within the 6 month window. But you may not do much better than this for mid-September.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

Ive found that the best rates are usually on the hotel's site. Sometimes a hotel will offer 2 rates - one to prepay and one with the typical cancellation policy. Usually the difference is about $5/night and I will always opt NOT to prepay.

The 2 times I used Hotwire, I found the exact same rate on the hotel's site - once the hotel name was revealed. And, in both cases it didnt have to be prepaid, unlike Hotwire.

Hotels and airlines are always higher priced further out. They want to see who will book early at the higher rates; then as they get a feel for how sales are going, the rates are lowered - or raised - on a supply/demand basis - so it is unlikely you are seeing bargains this far out.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 17 December 2012, 19:41
Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

"Cody - You don't need to use a different e-mail address. Just rebook it, then cancel the more expensive one."

If you're booking the new room from the same website, it may prevent you from rebooking until you've already canceled on your previous room. The problem with this is that if you cancel on a room BEFORE getting locked in to the new one, you may find yourself losing the room you had been aiming for and finding yourself without the original.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

Cody C - Not to my knowledge. I've used many different websites. Why would a website STOP you from buying something. They don't know what you're doing.

You say it "may" prevent you, I'd like to see proof, because each time I've done what you're describing, I've used the same e-mail, same account, and then gone in and cancelled off the more expensive rate.

What if you WANTED to book a second room? You're saying that isn't possible.

I 100% disagree with you that you need to have multiple e-mail addresses just to be able to book a second room at a hotel, as I have NEVER had a problem with hotels wanting to take a booking.

M

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is it normal for NYC hotel prices to fluctuate?

I've booked then re-booked rooms using exactly the same details. Of course it can be done. People book then re-book rooms when the price drops all over the world all the time.