We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

A group of 6 of us are coming out in the first week of January and will be spending one night catching up with various friends in the city.

Could anyone recommend a bar where we can get together and have some drinks and maybe, as the night progresses, a bit of a dance later on (I'm thinking of something similar to the bars in London that I go to that clear a few tables away later in the night for dancing).

Any suggestions would be welcome!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

Because of New York's cabaret laws, bars can't simply clear some tables and allow dancing - it would be a violation of the law.

Only places with the proper licensing for dancing may have dancing. This is unique to New York City - I don't think you'll find this in other cities (not even places immediately outside the five boroughs - still New York State)

Clubs with dancing generally have cover charges.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

I always found that fascinating. So...in NYC, there are no places where you go have a drink, there is music, maybe a DJ...and you can dance?? And so at a place where you CAN dance....there is no liquor served?? Right? When did this law go into effect? What about all the "disco's" I've seen or heard about?

Edited: 16 December 2012, 21:55
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

you cant dance in bars in NYC

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

Really? Honestly?!

So you have bars purely for drinking and then clubs for dancing, essentially?

I thought NY was supposed to fun?!

(I've been a couple of times and LOVE the city, don't get me wrong but... not allowing dancing unless its in an 'official' club seems bizarre at best!)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

Yes really

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

I've been to a bar on the UES called Iggy's and it is a bar and I have seen people dancing...http://iggysnewyork.com/

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

Generally bars are just for drinking - you can't dance.

Places with the appropriate cabaret licenses generally have cover charges.

To say that you've seen dancing in a bar is a lot like saying I've seen somebody driving at 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. I've seen illegal activity too but obviously you don't see it as much as if it weren't against the law.

The city does actually enforce these things. Silly, I know, but the city does enforce these laws. I don't know why it is important to the city that people don't dance in bars but it seems it is.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

Let's not go crazy here -- in clubs where you can dance you can also drink but all this says is that it all depends on the type of license places have. A cabaret license may be much more than a bar license and therefore not worth it to the owner. It is also a matter of the cost of real estate... We find it odd that people in the UK think nothing of bringing children into a Pub for an afternoon or evening of drinking. not that we really care but it is different and to us Bizzare at best ! AND i THOUGHT LONDON WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

Beachlady, I don't know what you are finding so hard to understand; it's fairly simple, and there is no reason to confuse people by jumping to the wrong conclusions:

<<in NYC, there are no places where you go have a drink, there is music, maybe a DJ...and you can dance??>>

Wrong. There are dance clubs that have the appropriate cabaret licenses, just as MoreFFmiles said above.

<<And so at a place where you CAN dance....there is no liquor served?? Right?>>

Wrong again. A cabaret license is separate from a liquor license. You can drink and dance in those places that have both cabaret licenses and liquor licenses. You can drink, but not dance, in those places that have a liquor license, but not a cabaret license.

<<When did this law go into effect?>>

In 1926.

<<What about all the "disco's" I've seen or heard about?>>

They had cabaret licenses, of course.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A bar to catch up in and maybe some dancing later!

Moreff--- I don't think it is a matter of the city caring but rather what does the owner of the establishment want--- if the cabaret license is exponentially more expensive than a liquor license then the question is why have it. The answer of course is that with it the owner thinks they can draw more people who want to both dance and drink (if I owned such a place I would take out an ad in the London or Sydney paper). It all comes down to economics not overbearing government.