We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in NYC

edinburgh
Level Contributor
224 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
First time in NYC

Hi all, long time reader but never posted before so excuse my waffle!

Visiting with my wife on 28th December 2012 for a week for my 40th birthday, arriving at Newark midday and staying at Doubletree Hilton at Lexington at 51 street. Planing to visit the usual "must see" places and have a Sopranos tour booked.

If you could recommend just one "must do" thing what would it be?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: First time in NYC

MUST DO: Central Park!

and... for what it's worth:

Even with the best itinerary, you will find so much to see and do, you will wind up having to flex your itinerary in my opinion. DO print out a good map of the area you plan to see and study it ahead of time to optimize your "route" of activities. You can spend DAYS just on walking tours of this magnificent city.

DO take your camera EVERYWHERE you go. In 7 days I could take 1000's of pics!

DO take a double decker tour bus- Hop On Hop Off option- It's a great way for a 1st timer to get the lay of the land and sightsee. THIS CAN BE PRE-BOOKED.

DO go to Central Park!- Free! (There is a lot of free stuff in NYC!) But it's HUGE and can take a whole a day or 2 to see the whole thing if you take pics like I do. See Belvedere Castle, Bethesda Terrace, the lakes, skaters, rowers, flora and fauna, and all it offers.

DO go to Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center. The views are spectacular and offers a great shot of Empire State Building.

DO pre-plan some restaurants, but be flexible to changing that plan....there are over 18,000 places to eat in NYC! I can’t begin to list where all to try.

DO take a look at the “pre-fixe” priced meal options. There are many, and some delicious meals can be had very reasonably in fine restaurants.

I can recommend the NYC Water Taxi, again with the Hop On Hop Off option. You can get a ticket to the World Trade Center Memorial with that ticket.

DO check out the Christmas Window displays at night down 5th Ave and elsewhere if you're going to be there in Dec-Jan, especially the Bergdorf-Goodman windows.

It can be fun to go down to the Good Morning America studio in the morning (EARLY!)... get on TV!!

DO check out some of the churches/cathedrals... St. Patrick's is gorgeous.

There are SO many souvenir shops!!! Shop wisely and compare prices...prices vary quite a bit for the same items.

DO leave room in your suitcase for the gifts!!!

DON'T be afraid of taking the Subway. It's fun, cheap, and a great way to get across town.

DO bring the most comfortable walking shoes you own. Walking is a GREAT way to see the city- the REAL NYC!

DO check out the Market in Grand Central Station. It's awesome. (If you can take dry ice home, get some of their goodies!!)

I THINK the ice skating is free at Bryant Park. (it used to be, but I'm not sure today.) You may have to pay for skate rental.

DO go walk the Brooklyn Bridge. (One of my faves.) It offers a fantastic view of the Manhattan skyline.

Don't forget your phone probably has GPS in it... it can be handy getting around.

Note that prices of nearly everything will be higher in the touristy area of Times Square. Away from there you can get a great pizza lunch, a huge slice and a Coke, for 2 bucks.

I'm sure I've left out a lot, but I hope this helps. I've only been 5 times, but this is what I've discovered on my own. Have a great time!!!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,516 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: First time in NYC

My one suggestion is put your beanie on and get out onto the streets and just walk and walk and walk.

Have an awesome trip!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: First time in NYC

Arrived in NYC passed your hotel tonight after getting nibbles at the grocery store beside it. Sure you will be pleased. Nice area

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: First time in NYC

Hope you have a fab trip - I'm another joining the club next year - 40 in New York! Loads of fab ideas on here, may have to pinch a few for May!

Lou73

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
edinburgh
Level Contributor
224 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: First time in NYC

Thanks v much

merry christmas

edinburgh
Level Contributor
224 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: First time in NYC

Wondering if you would give a bit of advice for our transfer on 28 Dec from Newark to doubltree hilton at Lexington?

My plan is to take the air train to the station and get the NJ transit to Penn Station(NYC). Purchase my 7 day subway pass and was planning to get the E line up to Lexington. Firstly, can you buy NJ Transit tickets on the train and secondly is the E line the best line to use?

Thanks for all your advice for my trip (2 days to go) cant wait!

edinstu.

Mentioned in this post
Purchase
Purchase
Westchester County, NY
edinburgh
Level Contributor
224 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: First time in NYC

just returned from first ever trip to NYC.

Won't be my last. What a place.

Firstly Doubletree Hilton at Lexington was very good and great location. Transfer from airport by train and subway is simple.

Subway system is brilliant. My $29 week pass was the bargain of the trip.

Plenty brilliant places including High line and Central park but my favorite part was early morning wandering with a coffee watching all the world go by. What an amazing place. No negative comments other than one week didn't scratch the surface. Thanks for all advice.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
317 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: First time in NYC

Yep... takes many more weeks!!! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

49. Re: First time in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2014, 05:15