We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

I'm getting excited about my upcoming trip! I just finished my last work shift before my trip, and I'll be leaving on Saturday. And what do I find when I come home? A confirmation in my e-mail inbox that I'll be meeting a Big Apple Greeter on Sunday! Yay.

Thanks all who have been talking about Big Apple Greeters on this board, because this place is where I found out about the organisation - I wouldn't have had a clue about it if I hadn't come here.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

I hope you have Bob show you around. He's a legend.

new york city-usa
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

As a BigAppleGreeter myself, i have a couple from Malmo Sweden i'm meeting up with this Sunday.. My visits are minimum 7hours to maximum 12hours.. Of course we don't walk all the time..but purchasing the $29 unlimited metro card is a great start.. 24/7 access to all subways and buses in all 5 boroughs. be sure to visit the brooklyn heights promenade, 911 memorial, the west village and meatpacking district including the Highline.

Your greeter will be a great source of information..We all give greets from our heart. Have a wonderful stay and visit here.

Australia
Level Contributor
782 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

maxisweden

I am sure you will have a good experience..I was fortunate to meet up with a greeter in Nov just after Sandy and the pres election and it was more like walking around with a friend/companion - just chatting about each other's country, politics, financial systems, public transport, work etc and ended up covering a huge area by foot and subway.

It was great for me just to be able to be aware of little things I wouldn't have bothered with or known about by myself. (My greeter was very knowledgable about NYC)

We had no fixed plan and the day just unfolded as it were.

So what worked for me was to be flexible and don't try and stick to a plan.

I was fortunate in that my greeter was happy to chat and share about the day to day stuff of life which gave me and hopefully my greeter insights into each other's daily lives and cultures etc rather than dealing all day with the touristy stuff.

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

Vacation - not having a fixed plan is absolutely what I'll do, I'm sure I'll have a more fun stay that way. I've made a list of some things I'd like to do and grouped them together but weather and my current modd will decide what I'll get around to doing. So glad you had a great experience with your greeter, I'm sure I'll have a fab time too.

nasdaqua - so good to hear from a greeter here too, I'm so glad the couple from Malmö will be able to meet you!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

Has anyone else thought about what a huge funny coincidence it would have been had nasdaqua been the Greeter for maxisweden and they found about it here rather than when they actually met?

new york city-usa
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

i'll be happy to be anyones greeter at anytime, as long as i'm available...most likely on weekends as i do hold a full time job.during the week.

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

Nasdaqua - Prepare to be inundated with requests!

new york city-usa
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweden
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

Warmwinds - now that would have been fun!

Done packing!!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yay for a Big Apple Greeter

Have to say I am really tempted to see if a greeter is available whilst we are there in Feb, aside from the big tourist attractions which we will do under our own steam has anyone left it to the greeters choice before?

I wouldn't know where to request otherwise....!