We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farm to table recommendations.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Farm to table recommendations.

Coming to the city with the family (total of 5, youngest 15 so no little ones). Looking for a recommendation for a farm to table type restaurant. Have theater tickets for 8 PM, prefer to eat early, prior to show then maybe a drink or dessert/coffee after before returning home.

I wasn't sure how to form a search criteria for this category, so I thought I would post here. We are not staying overnight, so as long as location can get us to theatre in time we are open to neighborhood.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

Take a look at..

Blue hills

Abc kitchen

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

Thanks for the quick response. ABC kitchen menu looked like just what we wanted, but unfortunately they were booked. Husband and I will definitely put Blue Hill on our list (have been meaning to try their Stone Farm) but wanted a few more choices for the younger ones in our group.

Found Print ( in the Ink hotel) on yelp, and checked reviews/menus here and on Yelp. They had a table when we wanted, so I booked it, but am open to more choices.

Thanks again

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

Yes its hard to reserve ABC.

Print is pretty good. Had lunch there once and had a decent steak. I would do 5:30 the latest. You gonna cab it or walk after meal ;)

Another option I like in that area is Taboon which is not what you looking for but worth checking out perhaps.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

Yes, I made a 5:30 reservation. I prefer to walk, but have no idea what weather may be like, But since we are 5 we can't count on a minivan cab either.

Took a peek at Taboon, and have to put it on my "need to try list". Some reviews reference that they participated in restaurant week, so if they do so again, that may be a perfect time to try them.

Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

See Flatbush Farm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

Greensquare Tavern gets good reviews and it has managed to last on a strange block for restaurants (that is improving). I still havent been, but am tempted every time I pass.

suitcaseready.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

A friend and I went to Greensquare Tavern soon after it opened...as a big fan of ABC Kitchen, I was excited to have another greenmarket-based restaurant in the neighborhood. Huge disappointment. :( Worst veggie burger I've ever had and my friend's meat dish was no better. Even our cocktails were undrinkable. Maybe it has improved in the year or so since - it's managed to stay open - but with so many great options around here, I've had no reason to go back.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

good to know. The people at Sen across the street told me they ate there (at Greensquare) a lot when they were constructing Sen, and it was great - or I wouldnt have mentioned it.

There is no way anything survives on that block if it isnt decent, so maybe it has improved. You have to really want to go to a place to be willing to wade through the mess that is the 6th Ave end of 21st between 5th-6th. Although the police spotlights are gone - so maybe the transformation of 2 bars into a paper store has worked some magic? Or possibly everyone arrives from the 5th Ave side.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

I second the post on Flatbush Farm. I would also add David Burke Kitchen and Gentleman Farmer as well.

10. Re: Farm to table recommendations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 10:16