We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
advice

Hi, in new york for 5 nights, is new york pass best way to see attractions for 4 adults.Also daughters birthday on 16 jan, any ideas for good value restaurant ,for fun times, we staying in time square areas. THANKS

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice

It would depend on how you like to travel. If you are someone who merely wants to check out various places, take a few quick photos and move on - maybe one of these passes would work for you. On the other hand, if you are someone who wants to spend some time at a location, it likely would not be worth it.

Remember, much of what makes NYC special does not require any sort of pass at all. Places like Grand Central Terminal, Central Park, Greenwich Village, Brooklyn Bridge and the Staten Island Ferry come to mind. There are also places that have free days or free hours. For example, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is Free on Saturdays before noon.

As for eating - get the heck out of Times Square which is loaded with overpriced chains. [The exception is Virgils BBQ]. Head to Ninth Ave for more of a local dining scene. The subway can get you anywhere, so do not worry about having to eat in Times Square.

What sort of food does your daughter like?

Sweden
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice

Here's what I said to someone else with the same kind of question. I'm a tourist in NYC too, and I'm currently in town for my second visit.

* Make a list of the things YOU feel you must see / do.

* Check how much those things cost on their respective websites.

* Compare the prices to what the passes cost.

* Also make a note of what is actually included in the cost of the pass - they might or might not cover the things you want to do. For example, the passes sometimes didn't include or required an additional fee for some of the things I wanted do on my first trip the New York. A couple of examples: I wanted the express pass to see Empire State Building, which wasn't included in the passes I looked at. I wanted to do the 3-hour Circle Line Cruise too on my first visit, and only some shorter cruises were included and the 3-hour one was an additional fee.

Then make up your mind if it is worth it or not depending on your preferences. For me, the conclusion has been no - no way it's been worth it for me. The passes, for me, would be more of a burden / hinderance because I would feel compelled to see things just to make my money's worth that I wouldn't want to do otherwise and miss out on the things I like to do. But that's where we are different - perhaps it'd be worth it for you? Do your homework before deciding though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: advice

You need a guidebook and a map of the city - give your daughter the guidebook and have her make some choices of what she might like to see - that is, I am assuming she is old enough to do so - if she is a small child, then obviously not a good idea.

But, a guidebook is a good idea - it not only will let you know what you can choose to see and do but offers background on those places and, you will need the map when here anyway, so if you get it before your trip, you can start to plan based on where things are located.

And then, yes, do check the websites of places you want to visit because even the most current guidebooks can often have out of date information as to opening days/times/admission prices.

You can check www.menupages.com for places to eat -

4. Re: advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:16