We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

America

geelong
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
America

We are travelling to USA in August/September - what are the best cities to visit besides California, Las Vegas, San Fran, New York?? Where else with a family? Is it worth visiting Florida or Chicago??? Any tips would be appreciated.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: America

California and Florida are not cities, they're states. It depends on what you're interested in. There are literally thousands of places to visit. LA, Portland, San Diego, Dallas, Austin, Houston, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Minneapolis, Miami, Orlando, DC, Philadelphia, Boston: that's a short list of major cities not on your list.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: America

As Brooklyn Brdge has pointed out, California and Florida are NOT cities. They are very large states.

I live in San Diego, California. Coming here would be completely different than going to San Francisco, California. There is about 500 miles in between them. You need to decide where you want to go. I would pick places that have a climate that you want to visit and are comfortable with. You also need to factor in the cost of getting from one place to another.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: America

August/September is high hurricane season. If you decide to go to FL keep that in mind.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,335 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: America

Why don't you read this page for starters and perhaps get a good guide book. Hard for strangers to suggest places without knowing anything about you or your family or their ages or interests

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g191-United_States-V…

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: America

I would think about picking a region, and exploring it fully. A coast to coast trip is a lot of work, and you will get to see more by limiting your travel. I am planning a trip to Boston, and decided to see New England while we are there. I would love to visit South Carolina and Georgia, but that is for another trip. Consult a map, and think about what you have always dreamed about visiting. Then you wil have something to work from.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: America

I would definitely concentrate on one area of the country. You do Washington, D.C. to New York City, to Boston, and then Cape Cod or Maine. Or you could start in Los Angeles and travel up the coast to San Francisco, Oregon, and to Seattle.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: America

If i had a friend who was visiting the US for the first time and a couple of months to travel, I would encourage them to visit New York City, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago, Colorado (Rocky Mountain National Park or take the train from Denver to Salt Lake City), and California (San Francisco, Yosemite, Napa Valley, the coast and Los Angeles). I will admit I'm leaving out the South, unless you count DC, but I'm a northern girl and as was pointed out, you're traveling in Hurricane season. ; )

It would help though to know what you're interests are. Is it pop culture? History? the Great Outdoors? Something else?

8. Re: America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:17