We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

Hi

Just wondering if someone could comment on our transport plans...

We are arriving at JFK at around 9:30pm, so I suspect won't be out until 10:30pm (is that correct?)

We are then thinking of hiring a car service to our hotel in Newark (Holiday Inn). Probably either Dial 7 or Allstate (any opinions/experiences with either of these companies?)

We're flying out the next morning to Chicago (from Newark), hence the hotel in Newark overnight. Were going to stay in Manhattan, but thought it would be better to do a big late night transfer to Newark (given we will probably be jetlagged anyway...that way we can have a little bit of a sleep in before our midday flight).

We did consider a taxi but it seemed to be more expensive than the car service. Shuttles don't seem to run past 10pm and the multiple train transfers with luggage and a 5 year old, probably aren't a great idea!

What do you think?

The cost seems to be around $85 (+ tolls and gratuities). Tipping is around 15-30%, right?

Cheers!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

Hiring a car is your best bet for all the reasons you listed. When you will get out of JFK really depends on how many flights arrive before you and how long the passport control line is

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

Oops...I meant 15-20% for tipping, right?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

Yes, 15 - 20 percent

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

Cheer BobbyC!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,399 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

I can't stop myself from telling you this is a really terrible itinerary. Unless you're using frequent flyer miles and could only use an airline that flies from Newark, I can't imagine there aren't flights to Chicago from either JFK or LGA which is much closer. If you look on

kayak.com

there should be dozens of them, less expensive. If a travel agent did this to you, I'd fire him/her. The cost of a car service from JFK to a EWR hotel will be well over $100 with tolls and tip. The tolls will be ~$20 I think if not more.

Depending what time your flight leaves in the am and where you're coming from, you might want to consider staying in Manhattan. If you were to stay near Penn station in Manhattan, you could use the train to Newark in the morning.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

I completely agree with NYWhiz. You will have a long and expensive ride to your hotel in the middle of nowhere near Newark Airport, and wil be completely unable to do anything except vegetate there until it is time to take a hotel shuttle to the airport. It would make much more sense to take the train (or even a taxi) to a hotel in Manahttan near Pennsylvania Station, and then a train (or a car service) the next day. This will at very least give you a bit of time in Manhattan to do some quick shopping at Macy's, or to go up to the observation deck of Top of the rock.

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania Station
Pennsylvania Station
1,316 Reviews
New York City, NY
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

Yes...our flights are frequent flyer, so you take what you can get, I guess.

We're heading back to NYC for a week at the end of our trip, so will have plenty of time to shop then! :)

We thought about the Penn St. idea, but decided we would rather do one long (and yes, expensive!) transfer after our 13 hour flight from Hong Kong, so at least we don't have to panic about waking up early to get out to Newark ...we're already there. We also figured that with our jet lag, getting to bed later won't be such a bad thing (especially if we're able to sleep in later).

Thanks for your input though. Our whole trip is a frequent flyer one, so we have a whole lot of awful flights...it's all we could get.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

On the plus side, you will be traveling fairly late so you won't hit a lot of traffic

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

I totally understand what it is like to use frequent flyer miles.

I've had itineraries from New York to the United Kingdom come up with changes of planes in Istanbul - no kidding. Sometimes with an overnight in Istanbul (kind of tempting considering I've never been to Turkey and think it would be interesting).

I get it.

All three of my trips to Australia were in Business Class using frequent flyer miles. I was very lucky though - I didn't have to change planes in Buenos Aires or Nadi.

Getting from JFK to Newark will be a hassle but I suppose that considering you probably saved thousands of dollars versus purchasing all these plane tickets, a $125. sedan transfer from JFK to Newark will not be the end of the world.

All State and Dial 7 are two commonly recommended car service companies. I've always had the best luck with All State. www.allstatelimo.com - +1 212 333 3333. Dial 7 may be a couple dollars less - they seem to get slightly more negative feedback but only very slightly. You have to remember that 99% of people have positive (or neutral) experiences and never comment. We probably hear from the 1% more than the 99% but that is purely a guess - I don't know.

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip. Let us know how we can help.

I love Chicago - great city. Have fun.

Sounds like Cathay Pacific Hong Kong - JFK, they're very good. Enjoy.

I still have fond memories of the Singapore Airlines A340-500 - the "Executive Leadership Spaceship" 100 All Business Class almost suites - no coach cabin on the aircraft. 20 Singapore flight attendants. Half full with only 50 passengers both ways. Now more of my travel is domestic / internal Economy - one should never have to go from Singapore or Cathay to U.S. domestic / internal Economy. : )

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Newark, after 10:30pm

Cheers MoreFFmiles!

Sounds like you have had some amazing travels...love the sound of the "executive leadership spaceship!"...perfect!

We're cattle class all the way!!!

But a free trip (well...sort of free!) is better than no trip at all...so we are feeling pretty lucky we even got tickets as we only booked in May.

Thanks for the advice re. dial 7 and All State...much appreciated!

Cheers!