We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
$2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

I would appreciate any feedback from New Yorkers reading this query. I am travelling with a family member. We are volunteers for an Australian youth program and we will be working unpaid in LA in a week's time. As a special treat we booked 8 days at the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Gardens hotel in NY prior to starting our volunteer duties. On 12 November we received confirmation of our booking for a twin-bed room. We arrived in NY two days ago. The hotel has no twin-bed rooms available so we have a single bed room and I was told by management to sleep on the floor. It is about 4AM at the moment on our second night. I have not slept at all. My bed is made up of pillows and duvees. Not very comfortable. Hotel management reassured us that this type of thing happens all over the world all the time. I have travelled internationally for 42 years and it is the first time a hotel anywehre has not honoured a booking. Yes we have complained and yes we have spoken to the travel agent. However, there is no solution, no bunk beds, no mattresses just a long list of excuses from the front office management. Query - does this sort of thing happen to tourists often in New York city?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: $2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

You're right, I missed the 42 year part, just saw "youth group", but her profile says she's a 50-64 yo female. That's what I am and I would NOT want to sleep on the floor!

I thought the hotel was just brushing off some kids.

I'd be in that double bed wrapped in my own blanket (good idea rglady) and not worry about it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: $2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

Roll away?? I would definitely be demanding one....

New York, New York...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: $2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

you got ripped off,stop the polite attitude it is time to get real!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,013 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: $2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

Hmm, this problem occurred 7 months ago. If it hasn't been dealt with by now, no amount of getting real will help.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: $2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,013 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: $2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

Well, elizzie, in case your question mark is for post 34. Post 34 has to do with post 33 which has been posted 7 months after the OP had their problem. Post 33 says "time to get real" Post 34 says "too late."

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: $2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

It was for #33 not you!

I thought it was very strange for them to make their 1st post (even tho they've been a member for a year) by dredging up and commenting on this old post. Random.

38. Re: $2885 paid to NY hotel and I am sleeping on the floor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:19