We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

London
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

And I should have known better!

It's completely my fault, but as a word of caution to others.

Last night we wanted to do Empire State Building. We had done it before but not at night. When we walked past yesterday the queues were huge and I mentioned to my other half that we could purchase express tickets but I wasn't 100% sure where from. Unfortunately one of the many skyride hawkers was standing close by and overheard us. He made us think that they sold express tickets and could bypass the normal entrance by going in on 33rd Street. There were so many of the on the street that I thought oh at least we might get to bypass some of the line by paying extra. Unfortunately after buying the tickets he then proceeded to place a sticker on it saying this is not an express ticket! We went back to see if the queues had lessened by 7pm only to be told that the queue to get in via Sky ride was 3 hours long and the normal ESB queue was 30 mins!!! We are going to go again on Wednesday when hopefully it will be quieter but right now I'm so cross. Cross with myself for not remembering what I had read on hear about Sky Ride and also cross at the seller for blatantly lying to us. I hope this might help someone else avoid the expensive mistake we made.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

How much did you pay?

London
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

For three tickets it was $175 when we could have just paid the normal $25 entry (I think that is what the ESB fee is but not 100% sure). I'm not angry about the money so much as being directly lied to that they were express passes, shorter lines, special entry blah blah blah. Again, I'm not blaming anyone but myself but just as a warning to others not to make the same mistake.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

Do you still have the tickets? i think you should do something like report it to the ESB ticket office and the police. This practice is atrocious. Frankly, I think you should bag the ESB altogether. If they allow this to happen, they should lose the business. Top of the Rock is much better anyway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

And they DO allow it to open by turning a blind eye.

Scotland
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

Why didnt you just ask for your money back when you saw him placing the non express sticker on the ticket ???

London
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

We still have the tickets. We are going to try and go back on Wednesday night to use them (hopefully the crowds won't be quite so massive). If not I will try and get a refund but in all honesty from what I have read just googling it this morning I don't hold out much hope.

I'm not going to let it ruin our time here because we are having such a wonderful time. Today is more time in Brooklyn which I have completely fallen in love with. I'm hoping to win the lottery in 2013 and be able to buy one of many beautiful houses I have seen whilst walking through Brooklyn Heights! I can dream!!

Happy New Year to everyone.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

I'm sorry this happened.

The people selling the tickets should be your first indication. Every time I'm in the area of the Empire State Bldg., I'm really repulsed by the aggressive tactics - you can't walk past the Empire State Bldg. without these people coming up to you two blocks away asking if you're headed to the Empire State Bldg - special deal today. They can probably sell you a Rolex watch for $20.00 too.

I hope you enjoy your time in Brooklyn. I hope you make it over to both Fifth Avenue and Seventh Avenue in Park Slope. There is a great little wine bar called Brook-vin on 7th Avenue in Park Slope. There are so many great restaurants in that area.

Smith St. and Court St. in Carroll Gardens Brooklyn is another great area. All these places are easily accessible from the F train.

Another great area to explore is Williamsburg. Bedford Avenue station is the epicenter of "hipster" The next stop on the L train is Lorimer Street where you'll find a great little bar called Huckleberry - I love to sit outside with a cocktail in the warmer months. I've never seen it very busy inside but I've never been there when the outdoors haven't been open.

Forcella is a great little pizza restaurant. Great atmosphere - really enjoyable place to have an afternoon or evening meal. www.forcellaeatery.com/ Forcella is steps from the Lorimer St. station and around the corner from Huckleberry (on Grand St.). Really charming part of town.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,879 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

So, these are real tickets that can be used? I'm really surprised that that would exist - sellers selling legitimate tickets at such rip off prices right outside the door of the ESB? I live here and find this pretty stunning - I always those tickets were not legit at all. I don't understand why anyone would buy them if they can get the same tickets for a lot less money right inside the building?

I know I'm missing an important piece here - and realize it has to do with long lines and wanting to skip them but how can they be doing right under the nose of ESB unless ESB is getting a cut; why would ESB allow all that money going out of their own coffers.

Sorry - I know I'm being a bit dim about this - but, this is bizarre to me.

London
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

MomCat, from what I can gather the Sky Ride is a tenant of the ESB. There were literally about 50 or 60 of these guys selling tickets, all very official and wearing either blue or orange jackets with ESB logos.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So Angry With Myself Right Now! We Got Scammed

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d2783…

What a mess

dnainfo.com/new-york/20110627/midtown/locals…

nytimes.com/2012/…