We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does New York accept Travelers Cheques

London, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Does New York accept Travelers Cheques

Hi I have been to Florida several times, and have always take travelers cheques, are they accepted in New York like they are in Florida?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does New York accept Travelers Cheques

Not really. They're also a very expensive an inefficient way of taking money.

London
Level Contributor
341 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does New York accept Travelers Cheques

Hi Nicola

I can only speak for my experiences but I have always taken a mixture of travellers cheques, cash and credit card and I have never had a problem using my travellers cheques in any store I have been to.

I use them like the cash and like having the extra security if I lose them. If you are passing an American Express branch (if thats what you use) you can cash them in aswell.

London, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does New York accept Travelers Cheques

Thank you Emma, thats great, I do prefer them to having a pre paid card.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does New York accept Travelers Cheques

I agree with BB - havent used them in a few decades.

However, its up to you. Not everywhere will take them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does New York accept Travelers Cheques

We have used them all over the 5 boro's of New York and never had a problem with them , even in smaller stores or cashing them over at the hotel , ( never tried in a bank though )

Always used American Express and never had a refusal , yes I agree they may be seen as "out dated " but they still work and in some case are cheaper than using prepaid cards or paying ATM fee's from certain banks

6. Re: Does New York accept Travelers Cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 01:15