We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Duty free

Hi all

I'm off to New York next week flying in to jfk from Heathrow and wonder what is the duty you are allowed to bring in to New York?

Also is it better to get duty going out to New York or when coming back?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free

I don't understand the question. Do you want to bring things to New York, or bring things home? And what are you looking to buy?

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free

I'm looking to bring a bottle over as to celebrate a event while in New York and want to get it from duty free and wondered what the limit is coming over?

I'm also looking at getting some cigarettes and wondered if best to buy them on the way over, while in New York or in the airport coming back?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free

You will probably find the booze cheaper at a store in NYC than at the duty free, unless it is something very unusual.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free

Hey icecold86:-) I usually bring a couple of bottles of wine heading back to NY from Europe.. but usually pack them IN my luggage.. reason being, you may not be allowed to bring them onboard as hand luggage;-) Something you need to check on your end! As far as smokes, DF is always cheaper than buying them here.. in NYC you can expect to pay around $12-13 a pack!! I usually buy at DF on my to Europe.. rarely for return;-) EnJOY!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free

Duty free shops deliver purchases to passengers once they are on the plane. From the US, I've never seen much advantage to purchasing a US produced product at a duty free shop, but from countries with high VAT's, I've seen an advantage. For instance, buying a bottle of Jack Daniels at a duty free shop at JFK will save NY sales tax (I think 8.75 percent?), but you will save significantly over purchasing that same bottle in London.

BTW, anyone see this article about a man who drank ALL of his duty free liquor aboard a plane?

sourcefednews.com/drunk-man-duct-taped-to-se…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free

WOW.. never saw/heard of that incident!! I know crew have handcuffs/ties.. but duct tape?! Guess the times have certainly changed!

Yes, DF items are sealed and you pick up prior to boarding craft here in the States.. not so in Europe though;-) Then again, we're oftentimes pretty limited on what we can purchase in DF overseas! Keep enjoyin'!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free

"I usually bring a couple of bottles of wine heading back to NY from Europe.. but usually pack them IN my luggage.. reason being, you may not be allowed to bring them onboard as hand luggage...Yes, DF items are sealed and you pick up prior to boarding craft here in the States.. not so in Europe though...Then again, we're oftentimes pretty limited on what we can purchase in DF overseas!"

Don't hate me, Litsa. You are one of my favorites and I really appreciate your welcoming me onto this forum, but if these statements are true, Duty Free alcohol sales would be a bust flying to the US and they're not. Duty Free used to be a scuttle business that varied from airport to airport, but it's now a huge global network that American companies are waking up to. In your departure city heading for the US, you will pay a VAT and at an overseas airport, you won't.

We usually fly home from France, and I've seen sealed packages delivered on the planes. For the best value, airline crews know what to buy and at what airports (follow them and buy what they buy!), and unlike the duct tape passenger (leading to the duct tape application, he was shouting that the plane was going to crash and thrashing around), their packages stay sealed. On a plane from France (in particular), I've seen packages delivered to the crew and other passengers when they are headed stateside, but for products produced in the US, there is usually not much of an advantage for US travelers...unless, of course, there is a special promotion and there are. Duty Free is on the gate side of Security and therefore, not subject to liquid volume limits, but bottles are regulated on how those liquids enter the airplane. the sealed packages and delivery on to the planes is the control On a US bound flight, I agree that bottles purchased in a city can not pass through Security on carry on luggage and enter an airplane, but they can be purchased in a Duty Free store and delivered in a sealed package on the gate side of Security

This said, I have seen "cafes" on both side of the pond where small bottles are sold and opened for in flight consumption. Maybe someone can shed a light on this, but I think it's because once a Duty Free package is sealed, it needs to stay sealed. Hence, the duct tape!

I've actually found Security in some countries heading for the US more restrictive than I had leaving from the US. I've had my four ounce contact lens solution confiscated in Mexico that carries a TSA approval logo and I had carried with me from a US airport. I am one of those travelers who believe that when an agent is vigilant, and I'm good with it, agreement or not.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free

You're confusing two different issues. Items bought on the secure side of security can be brought on the plane regardless of liquid restrictions. But, as Litsa says, if you have to change planes in the US on your way back home, sealed package or no sealed package, you will not be allowed to bring those liquids back on a plane as carry on. That's what Litsa is describing, and she's absolutely right.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free

We've done it, so I don't get it. When we arrive in the US, we pass through customs and stay on the gate side of Security. Flying to Louisville after an arrival at JFK or ATL, we don't pass through security again on our way home except (maybe) in the secured customs area. It's when you arrive on a domestic flight and board an international flight that you pass through security for a second time. At least, that's been our experience. Duty Free bags are checked in customs for their seal. We collect our bags at our arrival point in the US, pass through customs and check them again. Maybe, we could put our bottles in our bags at that point, but the Duty Free industry is too huge of an international entity for there to be a barrier at US entry. Security is the the issue and that starts with the departure airport. American travelers are not kept from enjoying the advantage of Duty Free wine and spirits purchases.

I've seen it all the time for us, including tequila from Mexico passing through US airports to destinations beyond the arrival US airport.

Edited: 11 January 2013, 04:29
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free

I don't hate you troggs;-) Why would I.. this is just a travel info board with folks helping others out.. as well as giving opinions, etc.. should be a fun place.. at least what I think it should be, lol;-)

FWIW, BB nailed it in #8.. and to go beyond that.. even on a direct coming from Europe.. I know for travel coming from Athens, you are not allowed ANY liquid items whatsoever that don't meet that miniscule amount allowed.. 50m.. DF sales people there had to be specifically trained to look at boarding passes to make sure and deny purchased to those USA bound EVEN WITH CONNECTIONS.. it was a mess after 9/11 with folks purchasing everything from wine to olive oil.. to olives at DF.. and not being allowed to bring on board and lost out.. not time to return!

To this day, you cannot purchase any liquids.. UNLESS they fall into that miniscule size of which is hard to find in either alcohol or after-tan (believe me, I always check;-) Even returning via Europe.. on one return I was changing planes in Zurich.. although I showed my boarding pass for Zurich, my final destination was JFK.. still no go out of Athensl! I learned the hard way to pack what I wanted IN my luggage.. but the wierd thing was.. once in Zurich, I was able/allowed to purchase any goods I wanted in DF.. and that was on a direct Swiss flight to NYC! I found that some European airports have changed their regulations over the years.. I remember when I couldn't buy a bottle of vodka.. or again, cosmetics/after-tan at Warsaw airport a few years back on a direct! This last May when there, no problem;-) I stocked up on the faves I can't readily get here like Biotherm;-) Breaks my heart when I'm on a direct (only one is Delta anyway out of area these days) from Athens and I have to bypass those nice large bottles of Biotherm after-tan ~ sigh! Enjoy!

Edited: 11 January 2013, 04:38