We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leo House - NYC

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Leo House - NYC

Leo House

332 West 23 St, NYC 10011

(212) 929-1010

i've found on the net this...

A hospice/hotel run by the Catholic diocese; people who have stayed here describe it as clean, comfortable and safe. Rooms are hard to get and reservations need to be made way in advance. No web site so far. They accept people of every religion.

does anyone know it?how is it?

is it clean?

thanks

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leo House - NYC

I know of it it, but don't know anyone who has stayed there recently. I recall a story in the NY Times a couple of years back that the church had become ensnared in a legal battle with long-term residents because it wanted them to leave, I think because the church wanted to close this facility and either use it for some other purpose or tear it down. I suggest you phone them to make sure they're still open and accepting guests.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leo House - NYC

I had friends who would stay there every visit to NYC in the early 1990s, and they really enjoyed it. My friends liked it because they felt safe, it was cheap and clean, and they are "boring" early-bird people, not night owls. Yes, there is a 'curfew' after which they shut down and turn the lights off, etc, but I believe you can enter with a key after 11 pm, even if the owners don't like it. But absolutely NO MEN at night. That is enforced very strictly.

It is quite old-fashioned and plain inside. Lots of wood, a couple of armchairs, wood coffee tables, worn out oriental rugs, bulletin boards, tal windows and high cielings. It's like an old university dorm or dining hall. It's old, clean and practical. We're talking no-frills. (You feel like you should bring your own pillows. I wouldn't be surprised if they still had a rotary dial pay phone in the hall.)

Apparently, the women that run it are FORMER nuns, and for some reason, they emphasize this point - probably because everyone asks them. I believe that many nuns stay there, but not exclusively.

I think staying there primarily for safety reasons is no longer the high concern it once was.

If you don't want to stay in Times Square, (and you happen to be female) it still seems like a good, clean, cheap option in a very trendy and convenient nabe. Not good for party girls, though.

Pisa, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leo House - NYC

Hello.I can tell something about Leo house because I reserved a room for August.it hasn't web mail,so, future reservation must be made by fax or postal mail, or telephone, no more than 3 months in advance.the outside doors are locked at midnight.after,telephone or ring the night bell to be admitted by the night guard.It's open to men and women in the same room

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leo House - NYC

dear tuamotu...we 'll wait for your review :) thx

Pisa, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leo House - NYC

hihihihi..with pleasure..I'll write something..

bye bye

Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leo House - NYC

My husband & I stayed at Leo House last year, and will be staying there again next month.

Worn but clean. I picture the nuns scrubbing the floors on their knees.

Safe. No one but guests allowed upstairs.

Cheap for NYC. Good buffet breakfast. $7.50 Small garden.

Reservations have to be made by fax or snail mail 3 months in advance. We did by fax, & the reply was very fast. If you are not a planner, you can call the same month you'll be in NYC to see if there's room.

We also like the location, straight down to the West Village. Some little restaurants nearby.

They say they do not accept NYC residents.

Irene

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Leo House - NYC

Do the rooms have private baths or is it a shared thing? Are there televisions in the rooms or is it like a hostel with a community lounge/dining area? What are the rates like?

Pisa, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Leo House - NYC

I'll go to leo House..there is tv in each room..and you can reserve double with private bath or double with bath,shared shower.I reserved my room 3 months prior but I didn't find any free double full bath.I believe there are not much of this.

@ irene:thank you very much for your reply.finally we found you,it's very difficult to have information about leo house..are underground line near leo house??how are the rooms??if you have pictures,please,can you put them in your review about leo house??i'm looking for a picture..but it's very very hard!!

thanks again

Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leo House - NYC

No, I didn't take any photos.

The rooms are worn enough that I looked around for bugs! But they are spotless! No bugs! I think they were going to paint last year.

The furniture is old. There are small TVs in the rooms. Some rooms have private baths, some share. I can't find my price list, but our double with a private bath is $100/night. No tax! (It's a religious institution.) I think in NYC tax is @ 18%. So you're saving that as well.

I'll try to remember to take photos when I'm there.

It's on 23rd St. Most of the major subway lines stop there, either around the corner, or further East. If you consider the Village as starting below 14th St., it's a nice walk down.

I'm a New York City Girl, and I miss it every day.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leo House - NYC

remember to take pics please!!

thx for ur review!