We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Location for NYC City Stay?

Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good Location for NYC City Stay?

We are a family of 5 with 3 children under 6. We are looking for a good location to stay for our 5 nights in NYC. We are hoping for somewhere close walking distance to Times Square & Central park and some other great NYC tourist locations. I am unsure of which areas are safe; great location; well priced hopefully at least 3 stars of $200-$300 per night? I am not sure if this budget is unrealistic? any suggestion of a starting point would be great. thanks.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

Rates vary quite a bit by season. It sure would help to know if you're talking about January / February (when you can get some really nice hotels for under $200.) or if you're talking about May / June / September / October when you can barely get a youth hostel for a king's ransom.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

You need to give your dates and how many beds you need for specific help.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

With small children, I'd suggest an apartment hotel so you can have a kitchen and a little more space. The Beacon, Radio City Apartments and the Affinia properties are often recommended.

Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

Sorry yes, we will be there at the end of Sept 2013, which by the looks of it, is an expensive time! we would be happy with 2x Queen or Double beds and a crib.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

3 children under 6 and Times Square dont match nor does your budget in Sept.

Try

Milburnhotel.com

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,193 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

With three small children I would advise you not to stay too close to Times Square. The crowds & commotion can be overwhelming

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

I'm going to second the suggestion for some place a bit removed from Times Square. I had a 7 and 9 year old visit recently and they really didn't like it. It's so crowded that it's stressful parents too!

I think that the recommendation to look at the apartment hotels is spot on.

Pam

Newark, DE
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

Love the Beacon. Upper West Side is a great location. Away from the crowds of Time Square yet easily accessible if you want to visit for awhile. Also very close to Central Park and other great attractions like the Museum of Natural History.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

Check out the HI Hostel on 103rd. You can get a family room for $160. The hostel is right on the subway and Central Park and they have all sorts of activities organized for very little $. Not only is it cost effective, the facility is kid friendly.

10. Re: Good Location for NYC City Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2014, 05:16